AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JB weld set up time
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John In Ontario
Posted 1/25/2010 13:32 (#1040579)
Subject: JB weld set up time

Ripley, Ontario Canada
I just used some JB weld to keep the fan from sliding on the shaft in Mom's dryer. How long will it take to set up (the package is long gone just have the tubes). Plastic fan had a steel keeper on the end but it broke off, and now the fan can slide on the shaft and was hitting the housing, made an awful noise.......

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
foothills
Posted 1/25/2010 13:40 (#1040588 - in reply to #1040579)
Subject: RE: JB weld set up time

Stayton, Oregon
24 hours.
mhalter
Posted 1/25/2010 13:43 (#1040591 - in reply to #1040579)

Vincennes, IN
Just used some JB weld yesterday to put a fin back on a cast aluminum turbine that drives a traveling irrigation gun. Package says 15 hours before putting the repaired object back into service.
John SD
Posted 1/25/2010 13:57 (#1040611 - in reply to #1040579)

As a general rule I agree with 24hrs at room temperature. In cooler conditions it might help to put a heat lamp on it., but not too close. There is a quicker curing formula of JB available. I don't know about it.

Edited by John SD 1/25/2010 13:58
m3farmer
Posted 1/25/2010 14:38 (#1040674 - in reply to #1040579)
Subject: Re: JB weld set up time

SW Minnesota, Lyon County
Don't know your application for sure, but I do know that JB Weld WILL NOT stick to plastic. I've tried many times to use it on plastic material and it appears like it sticks, but you can chip it off right down to the original plastic material. It doesn't matter if I sand it or whatever, it just doesn't adhere. I think there might be a JB Weld for plastic now but am not for sure. If you are just using it as a stop on the metal shaft, you should be fine.
Lil' Hoss
Posted 1/25/2010 14:50 (#1040689 - in reply to #1040579)

NESD
As others have said 24 hours for full strength unless you have JB Quik which sets up in 5 minutes and I think full strength in 6 hours but it isn"t as strong as the original JB Weld.
John In Ontario
Posted 1/25/2010 15:29 (#1040746 - in reply to #1040579)

Ripley, Ontario Canada
Thanks I will tell her she can't use the dryer till tomorrow. The JB weld doesn't actually have to stick to the plastic, it just has to stick to the steel shaft to keep the fan from sliding off and hitting the front of the dryer.
Doug W
Posted 1/25/2010 17:54 (#1040891 - in reply to #1040746)
Subject: JB weld Stick

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
...For jobs like that I've found that its worth having the JB Weld "stik" product around - you cut a piece of the 2 part putty off the log and knead it together - I think it has a working time of 5 minutes - & sets up within 2 hrs...

...Being a putty its a lot easier to work with - not sure of its strength rating.... its embarrassing, but it held our air seeder manifold together the first year we got it until we could get a replacement....

Heard South Ont was having a go round with freezing rain?? we got hit with a fair blizzard yesterday....

Doug W.
Thud
Posted 1/26/2010 11:09 (#1042254 - in reply to #1040891)

Near-north Ontario, French River
Not much of anything happening in Extreme Southern Ontario. Rained a bunch on the weekend, enough to take the frost out of the ground and tile were running, so very little ponding in wheat fields. Its cooled off again today, few flurries floating around .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)