AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn prices from the other side of the fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jackND
Posted 2/2/2007 06:00 (#97933)
Subject: Corn prices from the other side of the fence

OK first let me say that I know that there's been many years that grain prices have been too low. I grow corn and small grains to. I'm happy that the grain guys are reaping the benefits of the ethanol boom. The rancher in me shudders at whats happening in cattle country. We're now in our 6th year of drought in the west. All of the ranchers I know are at a minimum of 30% and some are @ 50-60% of our normal stocking rates. Now I know cattle prices have been very good. Thank God for that or we would have a much bigger disaster on our hands. But I challenge anyone to think about going through 6 years of 30% less production with operating expenses the same or climbing and try to keep things held together. This drought is not isolated to a small area in the west. Now throw in high feed costs and where are we headed? I here everyday about the cheap by-products of ethanol. How it's going to be a great thing for the livestock industry. Few add that we can only substitute 10-20% of DDG's in the ration, and the price of DDG's has risen from $80. per ton to $120. Then add transportation. I've been at this over 30 years and this " aint' our first picnic" and we'll find a way to adjust. We'll plant more corn & feed. Pray for rain. And hopefully make it through this. But I see many that won't. We'll lose nieghbors and friends. Hunters will be happy to buy up more ground and raise pheasants. Ok, now I'll get off my box and thank you for letting me vent. I'm just concerned over what's happening in my neck of the woods.

Edited by jackND 2/2/2007 06:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)