AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Driving in SD & Ethanol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 2/2/2007 07:39 (#97960 - in reply to #97862)
Subject: RE: Corn stover + ethanol

Aberdeen MS
IMO, it COULD be a problem. And then it may not be a problem. To me, it all depends on how greedy the suppliers are going to get.

"Here", stover has been taken off the corn fields for a very long time. Our yields haven't sacrificed all that much if any at all. The average corn yield still continues to go up. More favorable weather? Better genetics?? More than likely, but those growers that bale corn stalks "here" are right up on top and in some cases getting better yields. Some of that I'm sure is due to the fact those that take the stover off are livestock producers and some of the stover ends right back up in the same field it came off of after being "processed".

I see it no different than "glut" that MAY be introduced to grain market within the next 2 years. Farmers on a whole, fail to look out 5 years, they only see the next year. Right now the market is saying plant corn fence row to fence row. It will happen, but to what degree it will happen remains yet to be seen.

In areas like Chad's and other area that have less than desirable soils like we "here" enjoy, it could be a problem and may very well be.

Kind of like some of the whacko's that strive for their "15 minutes of fame" on the TV. Some guys will try to get their entire retirement account funded in 1 - 3 years.

It can be done IMO, if everyone does so in moderation. But looking back throughout history, moderation is NOT a word in very many farmers vocabulary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)