AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some GS2 thoughts from an outsider........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DG N. AL
Posted 4/23/2006 14:28 (#7236)
Subject: Some GS2 thoughts from an outsider........

Hillsboro, AL

First, I do not mean this post to be color bashing.  I am all for the advancement of crop records systems and precision farming.  I think it is critical to the future of our industry.  And by outsider, I mean outside to Gstar.  While I own some John Deere implements, I do not use any of the G* system.

It is amusing to follow the post about the new GS2 system.  And even more amusing when you consider that people are paying for the privilege to have all these problems.  If any one but Deere had released this mess, the product would be dead in the water already.  No one would purchase a system with this many problems from any shortline company.  I fully expect Deere to eventually straighten out this system and I am sure it will be a very good system in due time.  My question is why do we put up with the rush to get new products to the market like we do?  Almost all new precision ag hardware is released with very few of it's features fully functional.  The slick sales brochures will tout loads of new functionality that is not there when you get the box.  A couple of years  and 5-6 firmware versions later you have them.  But why do we put up with the headaches in the mean time?  Why do we stand for the lost data?

Currently, there is no way to read data collected with the GS2 system.  There is no way to know if you are getting good data or not.  The same thing was true when AgLeader relased the InSight.  I think it is ludicrious to even think of releasing a data collector that does not have a funtioning import utility at the time of release.  How much longer are we going to stand for this?????

I have been involved in testing many new products, but when testing you expect to have problems.  The GS2 is now in full release in a form that is hardly ready for testing........

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)