AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many corn acres will be too many?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/2/2007 00:00 (#97870 - in reply to #97821)
Subject: Re: How many corn acres will be too many?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I agree that even if we DO have a lot more acres - those acres will NOT be producing anywhere near the "155 bu/a" avg yield I have heard in these discussions. Personally I think whether we meet corn requirements or not will depend largely on the weather all through the growing season in many diverse areas of the country.

If on the whole weather is good, we will have enough corn. If weather is not good in enough places trying to grow corn, we will probably not meet expected needs of corn. Worrying about the total planned acres to plant, in my opinion, is just not important right now. Weather throughout the growing season IS important. I don't think anyone can really say for sure what the weather effect + or - will be until the crop is in the bin.

I suggest to many producers who are not marketing "experts" that a modestly profitable approach may be just to ride the price wherever it goes selling a small, equal portion of maybe 2/3 or 3/4 (depending on your location and yield variability) of your total expected fall harvest say every week at the same time on the same day of the week. Still gives you a bit to work with in the fall in the event of a good crop or cover you if a poor crop. And lets you sleep nights.

Yes, you miss selling all at the top...but you also miss selling all at the bottom too. Very much jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 2/2/2007 00:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)