AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If we do produce additional corn, where will it go ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 1/27/2007 02:11 (#95077 - in reply to #94408)
Subject: you are assuming it was not on line last year...

what if it was already on line last year and running at capacity?

A while ago someone posted that he had all the bins full and was having to sit in line at the elevator and it was taking too much time and he would be weeks getting finished.

If storage is really tight you're going to have to think differently. I've got a spread sheet that lists all of our farms/fields. I put in estimated bushels and it automatically splits landlord shares and our shares. If storage is tight the landlord shares all go to the elevator or ethanol plant, if not I store some of them at home.

Before we ever begin we have an idea of how many bushels we need to move to be able to hold everything. As we progress I replace the estimated yields with actual weights. If I know I am going to have a storage problem we start hauling back out of the bins the first rainy day. All through harvest the trucks run every single day, either from the field to the bin or from the bin to the elevator, unless they are closed for holiday's. My goal is to get the corn or beans I need to move off the farm into other storage just as early in the season as possible, then when the lines get long and everyone is slowed down we've still got room at home, never a line, you can drive right on the scale :)

Last year we cut it closer than we ever have. Our fields had a lot of variability and one of our last one's came in better than expected. When we finished all of the corn bins were full up into the manhole lid, one was starting to dribble out. The overhead was completely full, I left 400 bushel in the pit from the last load I dumped, both semi's grossed over 100,000 and the Kinze wagon was so full the tarp didn't want to roll, but we were done. Only thing that wasn't full was the combine bin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)