AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CASE iH AFS PRO 600 AUTOSTEERING
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 1/20/2007 22:19 (#91762 - in reply to #91617)
Subject: Re: CASE iH AFS PRO 600 AUTOSTEERING

roaming
"It may be the vendor's data format, but it is my data."

Absolutely, but you (and I'm referring to the collective "you" now, not you specifically) have chosen to collect/store the data in the vendor's data format. Therefore, you have chosen to limit yourself to the options that the vendor chooses to make available. If you don't like those options, you're free to change to a different vendor. I still maintain that the vendor has the right to hold your data in whatever format they choose, and make that format available to whoever they choose. As the customer, you get to decide if that is acceptable to you. (And you've made it very clear that it is not acceptable to you, which is 100% OK.)

"CNH is now incorporating the yield monitor into the operating console of the combine. That would be fine if they were open with the data, but that forces a redundancy in hardware to install a third party yield monitor."
Not really. First, this is only true for the 7010/8010 combines. Even then, let's say the AFS yield monitor was NOT incorporated into the operating console. That would mean Case IH would have to provide a second monitor for the YM. This is no different than having the AFS YM incorporated into the operating console (1 monitor for both functions) and deciding to install a third-party monitor (Insight, etc.). Either way, you'd end up with two screens in the cab. The Case IH solution is designed for Case IH machines and for Case IH customers, and I think it's only logical to have the solution be as integrated as possible.

I don't blame you at all for your perspective, and I think it would be valuable to both the customer and the vendor to have an open-architecture file structure that can be accessed by essentially anyone with the time and inclination. But this is something the free market has to decide. If enough people think like you, then Case IH precision farming will either come around or become irrelevant. If enough people think the red iron and prec farming combine is good enough that they are willing to "lock into" the AFS system, then there's no reason for Case IH to change its ways. I guess only time will tell...

This is a good discussion...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)