AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CASE iH AFS PRO 600 AUTOSTEERING
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 1/20/2007 15:34 (#91605 - in reply to #91590)
Subject: Re: CASE iH AFS PRO 600 AUTOSTEERING

roaming
"No hardware vendor has the right to tell me that I can only use the software of their choice..." I couldn't disagree more. On the contrary, they have every right to tell you that you can use only the software of their choosing. You, as a customer, have no *right* to an open-architecture format. It's the vendor's data format, and they get to have 100% control over who can read that data. And you, as you mentioned, have every right to tell the hardware vendor to go float! You DO have the right to expect that the hardware they produce will work with the software they produce. (Hence the uproar caused when Deere released Apex way before it was truly ready. I'm not trying to pick on Deere - that's just the first and most recent example that came to mind.) Now, smart data-writers who want to capture a wide cross-section of the market - colors be dammed - will make their data format readable by many software platforms. I'm glad to hear that you can use a 2600 in a Case IH tractor, even for autoguidance. I'm sure Case IH would like to be able to use the Pro600 to control the Autopilot system. I'm also sure this isn't just a technical problem. I would bet that there are numerous patent/legal/liability/other issues that would need to be resolved. It may come to pass that the Trimble/CNH partnership isn't as good a thing as it was when it was first envisioned, simply due to constraints like this that were never imagined just a few years ago. "to this point they have shown no inclination to do this" (regarding 3rd party control) The AFS Pro600 is the first display that has even had the real potential to do third-party control; previous displays could only run one software application at a time, so you would have to physically reboot the display to switch from the planter software to a 3rd-party guidance app to a 3rd-party seed drive controller app. Obviously, that's not even close to practical. To date it appears that the development effort has been directed (and rightly so) on making sure the Pro600 works with red equipment. Unless CNH is dumber than I think, they will have to incorporate 3rd party control just to stay competitive. "I have found in my experience that just about all of that glossy sales literature greatly overstates the capabilities of the product in question when you actually get it to the field. And that statement applies to all colors of equipment." Amen to that! Don, I'm truly glad that you have found a software package that works well for you. You've clearly invested a lot in precision ag, both hardware and software, and I hope it's paying off for you. I continue to value your input, and agree that there will be times (this probably one of them) when we'll need to agree to disagree...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)