AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2388 continues to shake apart chaffer and seives, etc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Goatwrangler
Posted 11/15/2009 21:45 (#925585)
Subject: 2388 continues to shake apart chaffer and seives, etc.

Eastern Kansas
I've searched and read everything on here about shaker system on case combines shaking apart. We've had this problem since the new bushings were put in a few years ago. Broken chaffer, bolts etc. Since the rain has us stopped this week I have the chaffer out once again to wield it and replace a broken bolt. How can I start over and realign everything. Thinking must have spacers in wrong place or something. Seems to be the right side that breaks the most bolts. Even broke the big one behind the clean grain elevator once. Nut worked loose on it this last time even with lock tight.

What could I be missing? I'll check with local dealers but they've been no help so far. None ever heard of the alignment tool that Old Pokey used.

Thanks, Greg
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pofarmer
Posted 11/15/2009 22:06 (#925647 - in reply to #925585)
Subject: Re: 2388 continues to shake apart chaffer and seives, etc.

I'd make sure that the two shaker drive arms are properly timed. Something is putting things in a twist. Is the keyed hex shaft that drives them twisted somehow?
Goatwrangler
Posted 11/15/2009 22:12 (#925663 - in reply to #925647)

Eastern Kansas
The hex shaft doesn't appear twisted at all. Each arm is on the same hex of the shaft. Is there any other timing or adjustment? I haven't seen any. I've measured both arms to the back of the combine and measurements are the same. I'll double check all this again though.

Thanks, Greg
himie/26
Posted 11/15/2009 22:15 (#925671 - in reply to #925663)

maybe shaker bushing a worn out
Pofarmer
Posted 11/15/2009 22:28 (#925712 - in reply to #925663)

On the 1480, I was having a problem with the nut on that shaft actually tightening on the bearings. The hex bearing could still move on the hex shaft and it would wallow around on the key. I added spacer washers to get everything good and tight and keep it tight and I haven't had any bushing or bolt troubles since. This is on a short shoe 1480, but, still, you shouldn't be having those problems. Not saying that's what's happening, but it's something to check. It may be the bushing tightening issue too, but it certainly ain't normal.
Notill-n-golf
Posted 11/15/2009 22:15 (#925670 - in reply to #925585)

Central Iowa
I'll be watching for replies on this also. Lost the bearing behind the big pulley on the shaker drive with 490 separator hours on a 2377. 100 acres later the big bolt on the front right corner of the chaffer snaps in two. 150 acres after that we find pieces of chaffer coming out of the truck. Adjusted the combine to make up for the 12 inches of missing chaffer and drove slow enough to harvest a clean enough sample on the last 20 acres of the year. Ordered a new chaffer yesterday and added another project to my winter shop schedule
farmertony
Posted 11/15/2009 22:20 (#925686 - in reply to #925670)

NEEDS to be tightened mid stroke to even the pull on it have had several try to shuck her guts this helps the problem
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 11/15/2009 22:27 (#925709 - in reply to #925585)
Subject: RE: 2388 continues to shake apart chaffer and seives, etc.

just a tish NE of central ND
I would suspect another bushing has failed ...... Look at the bushings on the shaker crank arms(what ever they call them) There is a iron bolted over top of them on a 1480 so you cant see the bushing to tell if it is out and it will look fine untill you apply pressure to it and notice the play.
raider2b
Posted 11/15/2009 22:55 (#925766 - in reply to #925585)

North Dakota
I'd check all the bushings, bolts, bearings and hangers first, get the cheat sheet that has all the washer placement and get the tool for aligning the bearings and bed auger drive shaft. After using the tool we have had about 25% the failures as before. Also check to make sure the engine is not running too fast.
jalopy
Posted 11/15/2009 23:05 (#925785 - in reply to #925585)

NC IA
what year 2388, does it have the slow down kit? is the shoe pan hitting the rear axle bulkhead? how bout the front chaffer rails, hitting the auger bed or casting web bolts? heartland repair in north dakota makes a kit to eliminate all these contact points. Also when replacing bushings get the new german ones, the mexican ones the dealers are still trying to pawn off are junk. make sure things are square, true, and centered. cam castings and a good hex shaft are a must. also check the slip clutch tits if they are wore to the cam casting and also the spreader pulley hub. common wear point that will make things slam around. If all this is good and fixed they should run 2500+ sep hrs between rebuilds.

this job is not for a novice, but thats the only way to learn sometimes.
Goatwrangler
Posted 11/16/2009 00:14 (#925887 - in reply to #925785)

Eastern Kansas
This is a 98 model 2388. Is the slow down kit from Case or aftermarket? Do you have a part number?
Thanks, Greg
4020dt
Posted 11/16/2009 06:40 (#925981 - in reply to #925887)

NC IL I80@68
The kit is a CaseIH kit , it is listed in the Catalog they send out each fall with all their harvest parts . I don't have it here it is out in the shop . I bought a 2188 this year and I had the dealer throw the kit in the deal . I put it in . It is for all 16 , 21 and early 2388's . I think the 2388's #### is prior to 160000 sn which would ,I think , include your 1998 . I'll get the part-kit ## and put it on here later today it's raining here I will have some time .
Funny thing is the dealership never heard of the kit when I asked for it . I found out about it a few years ago on another harvest form . A neighbor had a 1688 at the time that shook apart . He since traded it for a '02 2388 that had the slowdown kit from factory and last Thursday it came apart .
Kit includes a larger sheave on fan jackshaft (to slow down)
belt from gearbox to fan jackshaft
jackshaft varaible fan sheaves (top)
fan belt
2 tooth larger clean grain and tailings drive sprockets
clean grain and tailings drive chains .
JoshuaGA
Posted 11/15/2009 23:08 (#925794 - in reply to #925585)
Subject: Something that may not apply whatsoever

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Thinking I read in a farm show one time where someone claimed that they tapped the rear axle on the backstroke on older combines, causing them to break. Guy sold some kind of kit that moved the axle back a couple of inches so it would clear. Maybe I am all wet about this?
jalopy
Posted 11/15/2009 23:23 (#925818 - in reply to #925794)
Subject: RE: Something that may not apply whatsoever

NC IA
yes that is heartland repair in Ross, ND that i reffered to in above post. Kit is a little spendy for what little you get but mostly you are buying information and instructions more than anything. If you want a permant fix i guess its worth the money. Beware its not a days job. If doing a total makeover and doing it right it takes two guys two or three full days and thats if your dealer has all the parts on hand and doesn't have to order any.
Redman
Posted 11/16/2009 12:47 (#926268 - in reply to #925818)
Subject: RE: Something that may not apply whatsoever

SW Saskatchewan
In my experience, the shoe strikes the rear axle or the front panel after the bushings have failed, the striking is not the primary cause.

Do everything old pokey says, but I would also add to check the hex shaft carefully- one of our machines had a soft shaft and wore inside the bearings to a sloppy fit. Gives a lot of random bangs that way.

My brother and I have similiar same year 2188's, his never had a speck of trouble-still same bushings good and tight at 2500 hrs. Till I found the shaft, I had major repairs every 100 hrs. So far I have had no more trouble.

Odd thing, a neighbour also bought two 2188s, one of his had the soft shaft, other didn't.

My Brother is now also running a 2388, 500 hrs and guess what - shoe blew apart and the shaft was worn out within the bearing. Something is strange.
RAB
Posted 11/15/2009 23:16 (#925809 - in reply to #925585)

Brinkley, Arkansas
Does your hex shaft have any wear in it at all. It doesn't take much to get a "pop" that will eventually tear up the shaker system. We've had the flanges that hold the bearing for the hex shaft get worn after a lot of hours also. It could also be the needle bearing on the pivot arm getting a little slack and causing problems.
seedcleaner
Posted 11/15/2009 23:54 (#925864 - in reply to #925585)

Mid-Missouri
If the shaft isn't worn too much, clean it with the 3m orbital pads, or whatever their called. Then put loctite on it where the bearing sits, to account for any lost tolerance. Our 99 2388 deserved a makeover after about 1800 sep hours. Never had a bad bushing, but a few broken rail bolts over time. Let the pro's do it and the above are a few things they did to renew it. They used the alignment tool as well. Definately want to do it right, and get someone very familier with it to learn from. I suggest new wood blocks for the rotor augers, and align the beveled gears for them. The auger should be flush with the wood block on the end. When the auger goes forward slightly, it is not fully engaged with the beveled drive gear. It can go forward because the roll pin used will wear out, as well as a poor washer used to shim it. Replace roll pin and use a better fitting washer to ensure long life. Goodluck
Old Pokey
Posted 11/16/2009 09:43 (#926133 - in reply to #925585)

Who did the rebush? The dealers that have not heard of the alignment tool? If so, that's likely the issue, since you mention the problem starting after the rebush.

Its going to take a lot of time to completely disassemble and re-assemble the shaker system, so maybe have to wait till harvest is done. For now, I would take all bolts loose and tap the bushing with a hammer to break it free from its hold on the rails. Move the shaker to center as best you can free hand. Then while eyeballing the side to side center from looking at the chaffer from the rear of the machine, make sure it is close to center side to side and shim accordingly. Shims may need to be removed, and/or added. But you do not use a pry bar to pull the arm away from a rail, and you do not simply clamp the arm to the rail if there is a gap. Shim it. Try that, and see if you can finish harvest without another break down. Then the fun begins.

scott nelsen
Posted 11/16/2009 14:03 (#926331 - in reply to #926133)

Leeds, North Dakota
i agree with old pokey, need to use tool to git shoe in time, washers to shoe pain in the a's takes, time, remove entire grain pan, bent rails are broke or bent, shoe system is a good system if BUSHINGS aren't bad, if bad git your check book out, we are using some seives from westward plastic tooth sieve not so darn heavy, have had good results, two years, damn bushings when they go better look close, scott.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)