AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I buy EZ Boom instead of a Raven?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/13/2007 13:33 (#87616 - in reply to #87604)
Subject: RE: Should I buy EZ Boom instead of a Raven?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Good Question - I work for a dealer who sells both. I also farm and have a lot of experience with the Raven 450 and also the Insight Direct Command.

I have no field experience with EZ-Boom but we do have one on display in the store. I normally have a PC running a GPS simulator to show off the Insight Direct Command system. This allows a customer to see what the screen display would look like in normal operation. I have a flow simulator and valves connected so that the Autoswath feature can be demonstrated also.

I did hook up the PC with the GPS simulator to an EZ-Boom to get a feel for what it would look like in comparison. I was concerned that the small screen would be too crowded for the spray operation. I must admit that I was quite impressed with the balance of information shown on the EZ-Guide screen.

The menus are well arranged with some shortcuts to the more commonly used menu items such as rate, totals, etc.

That being said, I would personally find it difficult to use the EZ-Boom system after having the luxury of the Insight Direct Command system. The large touch screen with coverage map is extremely useful in spraying situations.

The EZ-Boom with EZ-Guide is not intended to be in the same league as the Insight Direct Command or the EZ-Boom with Field Manager Display.

Incidentally, you can have both the 450 and EZ-Boom if you wish. Drawings indicate that the Raven 450 can be used in the conventional way with EZ-Boom handling the AutoSwath feature. The duties are split between the two boxes via a special Tee cable. This might be a good fit for someone who doesn't want to give up their Raven but would still like AutoSwath. I haven't investigated this combination but I assume that it works.

Concerning the foam marker, I had a good foam marker on my sprayer (there are alot of poor ones out there) and left it in place when I went to AutoSwath. I felt that the foam would still be useful in those odd areas.

I found that in my case, I really didn't use it. I just trust Autoswath to know which areas have been covered and it turns off the booms as necessary. The large coverage map on the Insight makes it easy to see if any areas have been missed.

I took the foamer off last year and sold it. Your situation might be different.

Edited by tedbear 1/13/2007 13:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)