AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variable rate planting and N, What do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 1/18/2007 11:03 (#90387 - in reply to #87293)
Subject: RE: Variable rate planting and N, What do I need?

Colby, Kansas
Rollie,

I'm not sure how many simultaneous things the mobile processor can handle (I think only 1). No a JD expert by any stretch. However I have been working with a producer on variable rate seeding to a Rawson drive on a 16 row Kinze. Our first year of the project we attempted to use the JD mobile processor with map based prescriptions enabled. We generated our prescriptions into a shapefile and brought that into JD office, we had significant frustrations getting JD office to properly convert the shapefile and bring across the appropriate rates. Our RX was generated using a mathematical function so we had all sorts of numbers not just three levles of 18,000, 21,000, 32,000. If I remember correctly (there are poor odds here) JD can only handle 256 destinct rates. JD Office did not handle that well, it also did not retain our cells spatially as we had them created.

To make a long story short in year 2 we controlled the Rawson with FarmWorks SiteMate on a PocketPC and Life was good again.

This is also my opportunity to give kudos to Ted Macy and the folks at MapShots, he worked extensively with us trying to get the files converted in a pressured time frame. I don't believe there are better people in precision ag.

I tried to document what we did and what did/didn't work during setup, if your interested email me and I'll try and pull that together.

Best Regards,

Lucas Haag
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)