AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/20/2006 05:40 (#6435 - in reply to #6380)
Subject: RE: Waas

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Don - I continue to follow your comments concerning the movement of AOR-W and the effect it may have on our performance.

I never did understand the "Mask" concept. I remember a couple of years ago we were advised to change some "Mask" numbers but I didn't understand why.

I find it difficult to find information on these types of topics. Even the GPS company guys that I can reach don't seem to understand them. Those that do (or profess to) can't seem to explain them to me in terms that I can understand. But such is the nature of the business.

You may remember that I lost WAAS PRN 122 fairly predictably on Good Friday. I believe someone here mentioned high geomagnetic activity that day. Others have suggested that different brands of GPS receivers may be more affected than others due to their design.

My guestion at the moment is: Would changing my Mask values possibly have given me better performance (as far as continuing to receive WAAS) under those circumstances?

Since the Raven 115 would require a PC to change the settings this wouldn't have been very handy for me anyway.

I am starting to see that having a GPS with a display/keypad might be an advantage in certain situations. This of course assumes that the operator knows what values to change and how to do it.

I have now installed Trimbles Autopilot in my 8120 ILS (using the Insight as a display) and will be using Trimble's 332 operating under Omnistar XP. Just last night, my Coworker Tech who sets up Autosteers came over and we did a fine tune of the configuration.

This was without any implement on some very flat land. The system seems to perform well at this point but real field conditions with an implement will be the real proof.

Edited by tedbear 4/20/2006 05:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• Waas - Cornfarmer : 4/19/2006 20:48

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)