AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any thoughts on this one?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/9/2007 08:17 (#85189 - in reply to #84804)
Subject: RE: Any thoughts on this one?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am somewhat familar with the 4720 situation. I am afraid that I don't have any simple answers for you.

Your thought may have some merit. I'll need to think about this as I write. Your general approach seems sound- that is reroute the trigger wire back to the Ag Leader Input module and then run the output from the Ag Leader Output module back to the valves.

This should allow the original joystick, boom switches and sequencing buttons to continue to operate. The Ag Leader should be able to shut off the appropriate sections when the Ag Leader system detects that an area has already been covered. All this sounds good so far.

I think the major problem(s) with this arrangement is that the Deere system will not "Know" that the Ag Leader has shut some or all of the sections OFF due to coverage. For example, if all sections are enabled by the Deere switches in a normal pass and point rows are encountered, the Ag Leader system will shut off the boom sections as desired. However, the Deere system will not be aware of this and will continue to attempt to deliver the proper flow as if all sections were still ON.

With the Ag Leader setup the way you have it, the output from the Ag Leader output module goes "into" the Deere system at the places where the original boom switches would have gone. Thus when the Ag Leader system shuts OFF a section, it is as if the operator physically switched the orginial switch to OFF. The Deere system is then correctly "notified" as far as which booms are ON.

A fellow Tech discussed the idea of still trying to use the Deere Joystick Master on a customer's 4710. I don't believe Deere had the sequencing buttons at that point in time. On the 4710, the problem seemed to be that the Joystick button is a momentary input and thus not easily adaptable to act as the Ag Leader Master. Some thought was given to having the Deere Master trip a latching relay which could act as the Ag Leader Overall Master. I don't believe that the attempt was resolved.

I believe that the rig is running with the Ag Leader scheme of rewiring the boom switches and using their new floor switch as the Master. I believe the operator needs to "arm" the system by activating the Deere Master and then after that uses the Ag Leader Foot Master and side boom switches.

Another problem arose with this rig which is fairly common. There were certain days when the Insight was not available for use in the sprayer since it was being used in the planter tractor at the same time. It was desirable to be able to quickly and easily return the sprayer to its original setup.

To accomplish this feat, I made a Jumper connector. With this Jumper, the operator can unplug the connector leading into Ag Leader input module and unplug the cable coming out of the Ag Leader output module. This jumper allows these connectors to be hooked together. Now the sprayer can operate and will behave as it did before the introduction of the Ag Leader system. All the wires end up going where they used to - they just make a loop. Obviously, no AutoSwath is available but the sprayer is able to operate.

When the Insight is again available, the jumper is removed and the connectors plugged back into their respective modules. Then the Ag Leader system can once again handle the AutoSwath duties.

I am not aware of a more sophisticated approach with the Deere sprayers. With Deere's Introduction of Swath Pro, I think it is doubtful that other approaches using the Insight will be pursued.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)