AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alzheimers -- Aricept
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ahaygal
Posted 10/21/2009 15:44 (#893398 - in reply to #893368)
Subject: Re: Alzheimers -- Aricept

Saronville, NE
Hi KristinaM1119...I can sympathize with you; Alzheimers is a terrible disease to deal with. I am a speech pathologist and I work with many patients who have this diagnosis. I would encourage your family to re-visit the Dr. to discuss the behavior changes and check the medication dosage...I know that the dose is sometimes increased after 4-6 weeks. Has he been seeing a neurologist? I know that it is difficult, but you have to think of your Grandma's well being as his caretaker...maybe it is time to consider other options for his care. Is there any home health care available in your area? Or any respite care available so that she can have a "break?" There comes a point when many families must consider moving a family member to an Alzheimer's wing of a nursing home so they can have more around-the-clock care. I'm not saying that's what is needed here, but the mood/behavior changes can really take their toll on a caregiver. There may be other medications available which could be more helpful, or like I said earlier, the dose may need adjusted. Good luck to you, and feel free to e-mail! Hang in there...I know it must be awful to see your loved one going through this, and your entire family is affected. Take care!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)