AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone using agleader in site verification mode
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/20/2006 05:45 (#6436 - in reply to #6392)
Subject: Re: anyone using agleader in site verification mode

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The other posters were assuming that you had the Insight system. Although they are both Ag Leader products some of their comments will not pertain to your situation.

You indicate that you will be operating in Site Verification mode. This means that you will not be monitoring the rate of any product (seed, fertilizer, etc.). If you wished to do that, it is possible by installing some type of shaft sensor or flowmeter and using the Application Rate Firmware.

Your situation is easier. In general you will be turning ON/OFF the area count portion of your Advantage to start and stop logging. This can be done by using the small switch but it is much more desirable to use an implement switch to do this for you. This means that when the planter is DOWN, logging and mapping is taking place and when the planter is UP it is not.

There are a variety of switches that can do this for you. Deere has a switch for their own purposes that works very well (especially on Deere planters) for this situation. This does require the Ag Leader tractor kit (or my equivalent) which brings Power and the Implement switch wiring into the Advantage.

As you are planting, you will obviously pick the correct field from your list. You will name the "load" with the variety that you are planting. When you switch varieties you roll to a new load and name it with the new variety.

The Advantage will be recording this information to the memory card as you plant - somewhat like it does when you are harvesting. When a map of the field is made on a computer running SMS (or other software), it is possible to have the map change colors based on loads. Since each load represents a different variety, you will get a nice multi-colored map of the varieties.

You will not be able to "see" the different varieties on the Advantage itself, but you will have a nice map to take with you throughout the year. I used to put these maps in sheet protectors and put them in a notebook that I could take with me. The Advantage will not switch to the different varieties at harvest time. The operator will need to consult the paper map to decide which variety is being harvested and create loads at harvest time if desired.

A boundary is not necessary for your situation. If a boundary were to be made, it would be necessary to create this boundary by using a vehicle and driving the perimeter. It does not work well to try to create the boundary on the first inital outside pass around the field while doing an actual operation such as planting. This among other reasons make the boundary idea rather clumbsy. In my opinion, the boundary feature of the PF3000/Advantage is not terribly useful.

The Insight has a very different approach to boundaries. They can be created on the first pass. They are very necessary for use with Direct Commands AutoSwath and in other situations. The Insight boundary concept is pretty much a whole different ballgame.

Site verification of planting varieties is very different on the Insight also. Since a color screen is available, the variety maps are shown in color on the screen as the planting operation progresses. These maps can be brought up as background reference maps at other times such as harvest.

Edited by tedbear 4/20/2006 06:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)