AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can cattle be conditioned not to bloat on high clover pasture? (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/17/2009 09:39 (#850062)
Subject: Can cattle be conditioned not to bloat on high clover pasture? (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I finally finished some new fence last week end and just in time as I have been running out of pasture. This is new pasture which I seeded early this past spring with a mixture and especially heavy with a persistent red clover. I've had very good luck with clover interseeded into some other grass so thought I would seed heavy on the clover here.

I intended to bale it over the summer but could not get it baled so just mowed it once. This is the regrowth.

There is a mixture here but it is very heavy on clover in spots. Naturally the cattle head right for those places when I let them on it for the first time. They were like kids in a candy store!

My question is about bloat. These Herefords have been on clover/grass mixtures previously with no signs of bloat. This pasture is a bit heavier on the clover.

Is it possible to develop or condition cattle to not bloat? Since they have done well on clover previously does that reduce the potential for bloat?  Introducing them to it gradually with one day on, one day off the clover help?

Here are some pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/17/2009 10:16

(IMG_1552_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG)

(IMG_1553_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG)

(IMG_1554_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG)

(IMG_1557_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG)

(IMG_1550_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1552_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG (113KB - 197 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1553_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG (112KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1554_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG (90KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1557_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG (100KB - 171 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1550_new pasture bloat conditioning ques.JPG (105KB - 163 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)