AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great Pyrenees guard dog
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

German Shepherd
Posted 9/15/2009 22:52 (#848557 - in reply to #848504)
Subject: RE: Great Pyrenees guard dog

We've had a GP for our sheep for 4 years. Ours was with sheep since birth, so I don't know how this will work on one a year old. One thing I will tell you, GP's bark at night. And they bark a lot. I hope there are no close neighbors.

As to getting her to stay with the critters away from home, I'd say you are going to have to get them to bond with her close to home in her surroundings. Make sure they all trust each other before you move them to the remote location, because GP's like to roam and who knows where she will go if she isn't completely committed to her group.

The goats won't be a problem, but we have cows too, and the cows have never trusted our GP. She spends almost all her time with the sheep and the only real problem we have had is if one ewe gets a little too far from the rest of the flock she chases it, trying to get it back. Problem is sometimes the ewe goes the wrong way and then the chase is really on.

The only other problem we had was my neighbor had sheep for a while and he lives about a 1 1/2 miles way. Well, the GP decided those were our sheep too and she went over there for a few days until she got really hungry and came home. Tried to get her with the pickup but she wouldn't leave those sheep.

You probably already figured out, don't get between a GP and the food dish or you will be missing body parts.

Kids kinda spoiled our GP. Things are just too cute for their own good. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)