AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding Alfalfa to 5-6 wt calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

desertrat
Posted 9/14/2009 10:41 (#846381 - in reply to #846241)
Subject: Re: Feeding Alfalfa to 5-6 wt calves

SEAZ
Russ- Thanks for the reply. So, if I may ask, is that a functional (profitable) plan to turn this hay into pounds of beef? I think it should be, b/c at 3% of 500lb = 15lb of hay per day = ~1.5-2lb of gain/day. If that is true, then conversion of alfalfa into beef is 10lb hay to 1 lb beef(roughly). If that is true, then...if 6 wt calf is worth $1/lb, then alfalfa is worth $1 per 10 lbs making it $200/ton. If all that is true, then that is a lot better than selling this hay that is very good quality but got rained on a little bit for $80/ton!?! Of course, death loss would take a high toll on these numbers, but in a dry lot, eating all the hay they want, trying to grow frame, not fat, and starting with good healthy calves that have already been vaccinated prior to weaning, I don't think I should have too much sickness.?. I am simply trying to sell good quality hay that is hard to move right now, and if I can make it appreciate in value by turning it into beef, then why wouldn't it work? Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to figure out the pitfalls prior to jumping instead of the way I usually do things:) I hope that today is a good day for you, and that you are getting better. I saw the pictures of your youngsters at the fair, looks like you've got a great crew!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)