AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reg angus heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SouthCentralKansas
Posted 9/13/2009 21:39 (#845779 - in reply to #844789)
Subject: RE: reg angus heifers

KS
Every marketplace is different, but that doesn't seem out of line in my area, could be considered cheap by some. I would take a look at the preliminary numbers after weaning (if they are weaned). If they come from a low birth weight line and have decent epd's on weaning weight and yearling that price seems good to me. Going rate in this area for the qualities I just mentioned with decent carcass traits is about 1200-1300 at 12-14 months age from reputable breeders, that equates to about 1.50-1.70 a pound. If you can look at the mothers that would help too. I have a couple of cows that were bred to be really big, about 1800 pounds for black angus, which is a nightmare to run through a chute. They just eat more and the calves are not any better than the smaller cows, rather a raw deal. I would stay away from big cows and their offspring. I am curious why a registered breeder is selling heifers at that weight, in my experience (which isn't that much) there is more money to be made keeping them until they are older.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)