AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

freeze branding info (and pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 9/10/2009 21:59 (#842054)
Subject: freeze branding info (and pics)

I was lucky enough today to drop in on a friend while he was having his cow herd freeze branded and he was willing to let me post some info and pics about the process here.    Hopefully, he'll register one of these days and start posting here as well. 

Bear with me, I'm on slow dial-up connection and it will take a while for all the pics to jump out onto the www. 

The preferred alcohol to be used is methanol.  Ask a local racecar guy or tractor puller where to get it.  This is the cheapest source of good alcohol and it is as pure or more so than the 99% isopropyl alcohol, so it's a no-brainer to use it.  Methanol won't 'gel' like lesser grades of alcohol (very important to keep liquid state to cool irons properly). 

Alcohol is dumped in cooler large enough for all the irons about 4" deep, (they were using 3 sets today because of how many and how fast they were working the cattle through and the actual number system needing that many sets so the irons could be rotated).  Dry ice was added to the alcohol on a regular basis from another cooler to maintain the temp of the alcohol. 

Photos will be of the process from beginning to end, but I can't be sure whether they will appear in the right order or not. Process is close to as follows: 

Restrain animal in good sqeeze chute to prevent jumping and bucking.  With clippers clip hair short but not surgical short or shaved.  Using high volume air blower (like used at cattle shows), blow area clean.  Saturate area with alcohol by pouring enough alcohol over area or spraying liberally to allow alcohol to run down hide.  Apply irons to wet, alcohol-saturated hide and firmly hold for (today it was 1:15 ~ one minute, fifteen seconds in the shade on black cattle that had been standing in the sun prior to entering chute).  Different breeds of cattle have varying times needed for freezing. 

Excellent learning opportunity for me. 

(shade over chute.jpg)

(clip hair.jpg)

(blower removes clipped hair and dust.jpg)

(saturate area with alcohol.jpg)

(irons submerged in alcohol and dry ice in cooler.jpg)

(applying brands 75 seconds.jpg)

(immediately after freezing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments shade over chute.jpg (95KB - 164 downloads)
Attachments clip hair.jpg (95KB - 162 downloads)
Attachments blower removes clipped hair and dust.jpg (64KB - 175 downloads)
Attachments saturate area with alcohol.jpg (64KB - 160 downloads)
Attachments irons submerged in alcohol and dry ice in cooler.jpg (95KB - 173 downloads)
Attachments applying brands 75 seconds.jpg (64KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments immediately after freezing.jpg (64KB - 179 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)