AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What did they say in 95
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 12/24/2006 09:42 (#78062 - in reply to #78009)
Subject: RE: What did they say in 95

USA
IMO it is dangerous to a farmers financial well being to make marketing decisions based on what the markets have done in the past, with the current situation that we are in. We are in the process of making history as for as the grain markets are concerned. When was the last time a farmer has had the opportunity to sell corn for over $3 for 4 years in a row? I think that is very likely that farmers will have the oppertunity to sell some corn for $4 four years in a row, when was the last time that happened? Ten years from now I think we will look back on this current market situation and see how hard it was to get corn to break the three dollar level. Not saying it won't break three dollars, but is going to be harder than many currently think.

We are in a demand market like we have never seen before. This market is probably not going to roll over and die any time soon. Forget the $1.90 corn it ain't going to happen any time soon , take advantage of the opportunities to sell some $4 corn when presented over the next four years. Even the worst marketer in the world will probably have a hard time averaging below$3 for the 06, 07, 08, and 09 corn crops. Now if he sold his 06 crop and 07 below $3 it might be a little harder to average $3 for these four crop years.

I think the hardest think to manage in the markets that we are facing is the wild swings that will happen. The price swings in a year will probably be more than what a lot farmers have been used to grossing from a acre of corn. So I think a person had better decide what he is going to do with the commodity when he misses the up swing and keep from being forced to sell at the bottom. One thing for sure marketing mistakes are going to be a lot more costly from here forward.

Edited by coup 12/24/2006 12:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)