AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Money and Kids ????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

KristinaM1119
Posted 9/1/2009 17:50 (#832178)
Subject: Money and Kids ????

I participate in a child mentoring program, so about once a week I spend a few hours of one on one time with a 6 (almost 7) year old. She is great, and I have alot of fun spending time with her. We are supposed to spend time together doing all sorts of things, fun, and everyday things. Usually we go to my house and cook supper and then go to the park. But sometimes I take her grocery shopping with me, or she will help me clean out the fish tank (she enjoys it). But the problem is that she wants everything and has no concept that things cost money. When we are at my house, she will se something that she likes and ask if she can have it. I have no problem telling her no on that. If we go to the store, I tell her she can pick out something small. She always picks out an item that way out of the price range, so I have to tell her no again, and then she gets pouty and mad. I know that she does not pull that stuff with her parents, they are a low income family, so if she did act like this, I know she would not get her way.

Right now she is sort of let down because I will not take her to the theme park again. We went a few weeks ago, and she wants to go again. I told her no, and she wants to know why. So I try to explain the best that I can that it costs alot of money for us to go. And she just says "so?"

So I could use a little advice on how to make a 6 year old, understand, that she cant have everything, and that things cost money. And I really don't think that this is something that I should be teaching her, but I at least need to be able to explain why I say no.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)