AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much does a small round bale weigh?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

upstate_grass
Posted 8/31/2009 14:36 (#831056)
Subject: How much does a small round bale weigh?

I know it probably varies depending on moisture content, type of grass, baler, etc... but is there a rough range that it would be in? I assume that it'll be properly dried (for the first time since I got up there to NY we're projected to have all sun for at least the next 5 days!) and is being made a very experienced farmer. It will be the first cutting. He also estimates that the protein will be in the 10-12% range. Is that overly optimistic? The farmer is a dairy guy and these lands are hayed regularly as well as being manured regularly (I'm not if he's also putting nitro. on it - I'd think not). I bought some last year and, excepting the outer 10" (where it got rained on) seemed like nice hay (I'm new so my knowledge of what "nice" hay really is is pretty limited - but it was definitely much nicer than some stem crap I got from another guy).

When I ask him about the weight he says they'll probably average about 800lbs (some as low as 600 lbs, some as high as 1000 lbs). If he's right then 800lb puts it at about $65/ton. That seems a little too good to be true (based on prices I've heard from others).

Thanks for any feedback,
JR
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 8/31/2009 15:37 (#831081 - in reply to #831056)
Subject: RE: How much does a small round bale weigh?

Little River, TX
I am more inclined to say 600 lb bales.

If this is a first cutting and if there has been a long weather delay I would think protein in the 8% range is more realistic.

Some reading material for you.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/pubnwsltr/TRIM/5811.pdf

http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-454/442-454.html

This link is for a different grass type and different climate but the principle is the same. Look at it's figure #1.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b911.htm
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/1/2009 08:05 (#831745 - in reply to #831081)
Subject: CP is a function of maturity and fertility.

Little River, TX
Net energy is much the same though it is more a function of the amount and type of fiber in the hay.

Short answer is the better the fertility program the longer it takes for the protein and carbohydrates to become of poor value.

Well fertilized grass hay will be at 12% CP at roughly 6 weeks. Lower fertility rates and the CP may be down around 8% in 4 weeks.
upstate_grass
Posted 9/9/2009 00:14 (#840224 - in reply to #831081)

Hay Wilson in TX - 8/31/2009 15:37

I am more inclined to say 600 lb bales.

If this is a first cutting and if there has been a long weather delay I would think protein in the 8% range is more realistic.

Some reading material for you.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/pubnwsltr/TRIM/5811.pdf

http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-454/442-454.html

This link is for a different grass type and different climate but the principle is the same. Look at it's figure #1.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b911.htm

Just got around to reading that first article above (5811.pdf). Great stuff; thanks for the link.
upstate_grass
Posted 8/31/2009 21:51 (#831401 - in reply to #831056)
Subject: Re: How much does a small round bale weigh?

Yeah, 600 lbs puts it at about $83 a ton; probably still not too much of a good deal if you're right and it's closer to 8% than 12% protein. I had hay made on my property last year but the cows did very poorly on it (got pretty skinny); when I had it tested it was about 6.5% protein.

So, I'm going to have to protein supplement again. I'm trying to keep them as grass/hay only as possible. Any recommendations on a supplement?
feelnrite
Posted 8/31/2009 22:06 (#831430 - in reply to #831401)

northwest tennessee
DDGs?
upstate_grass
Posted 9/1/2009 00:31 (#831638 - in reply to #831430)

feelnrite - 8/31/2009 22:06
DDGs?

Just straight? Last year, for the couple of months that I supplemented with grain I used, essentially, my mills heifer mix (I think it was 14%, but might have been 16%). I fed them about 3-5 lbs/per day just because I was worried that they were getting too skinny (these are black angus but, I think, they've got some dairy in them so they tend toward being a little on the thin side). Seemed to help get them back on track. This year, I hope this hay is better, I'll be feeding a bit more and I'll supplementing from the very beginning (though pretty light; 1-2 lb/day/head). Also too they'll have a warmer, dryer place to be; might not have to spend all their energy staying warm. Also, I'll have a real watering system in place; the water they drink should be a bit warmer. Maybe all those things will produce a smoother 2nd winter with cattle.
cr39
Posted 8/31/2009 22:24 (#831464 - in reply to #831056)

You should definitely go somewhere and weigh 2-3 bales to make sure how much they weigh. We did this the very first time we sold off hay, and were way off of what we thought it would weigh. You never said what kind of hay it is, so I can't tell you if 10-12% would be normal. If it is good, leafy, dry grass hay, then 10-12% protein would be really good.
upstate_grass
Posted 9/1/2009 00:23 (#831631 - in reply to #831464)

cr39 - 8/31/2009 22:24
You should definitely go somewhere and weigh 2-3 bales to make sure how much they weigh. We did this the very first time we sold off hay, and were way off of what we thought it would weigh. You never said what kind of hay it is, so I can't tell you if 10-12% would be normal. If it is good, leafy, dry grass hay, then 10-12% protein would be really good.

That's a good idea, but I called him today and confirmed an order. He assures me that 600 will be the low end. We'll see.

As for the type of grass: What I got last year was, I think, a fair amount of canary grass (the broad leaf grass). It was pretty green and very dry (again, except for what was spoiled on the outside). There was some red clover in it and, probably some other grass. I assume there's a lot of canary because we have lots of wet pastures around here.
BrentOntario
Posted 9/1/2009 00:30 (#831637 - in reply to #831056)

Depends on the baler. My New Holland 634 has only spring tension, no hydraulic tension, and the 4' x 4' bales barely reach 500 lbs when dried properly. Load up a whole wagon load and go to a scale.
Ben
Posted 9/2/2009 18:11 (#833237 - in reply to #831056)

North Mo.
I am showing my age here the round bales I used to use weighed 60 pounds more or less [ Ac round baler}. This time of year bale the pastures leave the bales in the fields let it grow up and turn cows in. The only thing that beats that cost wise and ease of feeding is stockpile and strip grazing. Ben
feelnrite
Posted 9/2/2009 20:51 (#833371 - in reply to #833237)

northwest tennessee
We used to have a roto baler. I learned to cuss running that thing. haha
Ben
Posted 9/2/2009 21:04 (#833389 - in reply to #833371)

North Mo.
years ago we were trying to bale oats with little luck. So we ask a neighbor to try, he had baled many more bales than my cousin, he had trouble getting the oats to feed also. He got so mad at the baler he threw a wrench at it, guess what happened next? Yep the hay fed in along with the wrench, boy did my ears burn. Shortly after that we started using a Newholland chain baler think a 850. Ben
feelnrite
Posted 9/2/2009 21:25 (#833421 - in reply to #833389)

northwest tennessee
I graduated from a roto baler to a new holland 851. Be real quite and see if you can hear the chains break and run around the sprockets and fall in the bottom of the baler. Then you have that funny feeling in your stomach. haha
GEMLAKEny
Posted 9/3/2009 00:34 (#833750 - in reply to #831056)

Waterloo, N.Y.
upstate, i no this has been a bad year for hay in new york but to be taking first cut of now throws up some red flags. As a general rule your protein is going to be way down and just i but assume weed pressure would be extremely high. You might get some feedable stuff as long has he doesnt have any type of thorn weeds in this hay but i would try to mix in some high quality alfalfa hay as your protein is going to be low.
martin
Posted 9/5/2009 01:56 (#835952 - in reply to #833750)
Subject: GemLake

"....but to be taking first cut of now throws up some red flags."

That thought crossed my mind as well.  However,  Upstate didn't really say it was being harvested now.  He just asked what a bale weighs.  It occurred to me that he might be buying this hay out of storage.  So, it might be good for Upstate to clarify, as it could come across a bit confusing.

Upstate, if/when you buy this hay, you might want to invest in a forage analysis.  I would even consider getting a forage analysis before I buy - that would give a better idea of what kind of quality you are buying.

upstate_grass
Posted 9/9/2009 00:07 (#840221 - in reply to #835952)
Subject: RE: GemLake

martin - 9/5/2009 01:56

"....but to be taking first cut of now throws up some red flags."

That thought crossed my mind as well.  However,  Upstate didn't really say it was being harvested now.  He just asked what a bale weighs.  It occurred to me that he might be buying this hay out of storage.  So, it might be good for Upstate to clarify, as it could come across a bit confusing.

Upstate, if/when you buy this hay, you might want to invest in a forage analysis.  I would even consider getting a forage analysis before I buy - that would give a better idea of what kind of quality you are buying.

So, since I last posted I bought the hay and I'm not feeling too good about it. The guy tells me that they'll probably average 800 lbs. Based on what I've read here that seems highly unlikely. These are 4x4 small round bales wrapped with netting. I'm going to try and get one or two on a scale but I've planned on them being 600 lb. If they are any less I'm going to be upset.

As for quality, no this hay was just harvested. Looking at it I see lots of brown, a fair amount of green and not too terribly much in the way of stemmy matter but some. Based on what people have said I'm inclined to think that this is going to be pretty low quality hay.

All in all, I haven't had the best week.

But, this is year two now. The first year we fed small square bales that were made by a farmer from my land. We loaded them onto a sled from the barn and pulled them over 300 ft to where we fed the cows. It was a lot of work. This year, I'm hoping that the tractor holds up, I don't get stuck, I get the snow out of the way and I drop a small round into the circular feeder every 2.5 days or so and I'm done with it. I hope the $230 28'x48' 20 mil tarp I bought holds up well, doesn't leak, rip or blow off.

As for a forage analysis, I don't think I'll ever buy hay again without one. Of course, I'm starting to ramp up for buying some haying equipment myself. I'm sure it'll be a pain too but at least I'll know what I'm getting.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)