AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Digital photo frame??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/24/2006 09:08 (#78049 - in reply to #77426)
Subject: RE: Digital photo frame??

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I saw this type of product at my local Sam's Club a while back. They have two models. Neither one is identical to the ones pictured here.

One model had built in memory which could be loaded via USB. It also could handle the various memory cards such as SD, CF and the other common ones. I don't know if it could "play" directly off of a USB jumpdrive or if the USB was only to transfer the files in.

The other model which I bought had a larger screen and could handle the various memory cards also but did not have internal memory nor the USB connection.

I just got it yesterday and haven't had much time to explore all the features. Basically it works in the automated slideshow mode which I was most interested in. It came with a remote through which several settings can be changed.

The picture files can come directly off of the card as it came out of the camera or files that have been manipulated on the computer and then saved to a memory card. I just pasted some of my picture folders on to a blank memory card. The unit can handle folders so that the pictures in the slideshow can come from just that folder if desired.

This unit can play mp3 music files but it appears they need to be in the root directory rather than organized in folders such I have for done for my other units. The speakers are small and tinny but the system does work for music

I was a bit disappointed with the picture quality but then again I am comparing the quality to my much higher end computer monitors. I guess the quality should be much better on them.

I tried resizing the pictures as been suggested to see if the quality improves. I didn't notice any improvement in quality but the pictures loaded faster which is not a big concern.

I loaded in some fishing pictures where I had added captions with Adobe's Photoshop software program. The captions came up nicely and were easy to read.

I brought it over to my brother's for Christmas today. I had loaded some old pictures on an SD card of my nieces and nephews kids through the last couple of years. I had the unit play these back which was a big hit for my Brother and his wife. I guess they were quite impressed. They are not computer literate and don't realize how good the pictures really look on a good quality monitor.

One of my nieces had her digital camera there and we played back some of the pictures she had just taken minutes earlier. Most of the family was amazed, they thought you had to take your camera to Wal-Mart and get the pictures developed.

Her camera is a Kodak while mine is a Nikon. When I stuck her SD card in, the digital picture frame device brought up a different menu then when I use my SD card out of my Nikon. In both cases the unit did work and presented a slideshow but I'm curious as to why the digital frame device behaved differently.

I think the unit probably has its place but is certainly lacking when comparing the results to using a "real" computer for picture and sound quality.

Edited by tedbear 12/24/2006 16:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)