AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do I need
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

k_m_coors
Posted 6/30/2024 06:00 (#10792803 - in reply to #10790416)
Subject: RE: What do I need

NW Ohio
Row clutches and auto steer will make planting in the dark so much easier! I found a used set of Graham electric drives online that I installed on my planter. They have been great so far, especially if you would want to do any variable rate planting in the future. But the sure stop clutches were my second choice. Only reason I went with the Graham drives at that time was because I found them used and they were cheaper. I was told you can normally und up to 12 rows of graham drives off the tractor alternator. I only have a 6 row planter, so I wouldn't be pulling as much from the generator as you are.

Personally, I don't like having too many monitors in the cab, So I would pick a Trimble or ag leader system that will do everything you want to do (auto steer, planter monitoring and section control, yield monitoring) and go from there. The 20-20's are great systems, and you wouldn't be disappointed in one I don't think, but I use a Trimble display (currently TMX's) which would do everything you ask of it. It monitors the population, spacing, singulation. If you are like I was, it's a lot more info than I had before with a Blinky light monitor! I'm sure there are Ag Leader systems that are the same. The Trimble EZ-Pilot style auto steers are great auto steer systems, better that ez-steer style in my opinion, but both work. Buy used and hopefully you can find one with all of the unlocks you want on it. Unlocks can get expensive fast! On the Trimble side, an FMX or newer should do what you want. FMX's are getting older but I used them for many years. The TMX replaced the FMX and while you can still buy them new, they are on to some newer displays and I feel its time may be running out. Also, I'd buy one unlocked for RTK right away. Then look and see if MN has a state run CORS network you can use. in Ohio, access to the CORS network is free. On the TMX, you can use a wifi adapter and your cell phone and have Free RTK running. Save your a-b lines for each field using RTK and you never have to worry about getting too close to those poles along the road or getting over the neighbors line! RTK on the Trimble TMX also gives you up to 20 minutes of xFill which gives you 20 minutes of time if your RTK correction source gets dropped. For example, In your picture, I see a tree line, which can and will mess with your GPS signal. XFill, in my area, can normally keep my auto steer working with RTK accuracy while I am along a woods or buildings.

I don't use the Trimble for Yield monitoring, but I am told it's not as user friendly as the ag leader yield monitoring may be? I am using Agco's yield monitoring and I guess I figure as long as it is collecting the data, I can look at it later in the house. I don't need to watch it in the combine very much as I have other stuff I should be paying attention to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)