AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ok Ladies (or Gentlemen) Sauerkraut???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 8/22/2009 09:48 (#820168)
Subject: Ok Ladies (or Gentlemen) Sauerkraut???

We're trying some different things this year with canning veggies, etc. Pickles are on their way, we've put up enough salsa to feed an NFL stadium, and enough spaghetti sauce/crushed tomatoes to start our own business selling the stuff! Peaches are done, even made some peach salsa (it's heavenly, sweet/hot and GOOD!). Sweet corn is, well, we're stopping, enough is enough already. What we don't grow, we buy from a local produce wholesaler.

BTW, the pickle sized cukes from Falkner Farms in Michigan, packaged by Monte, are fantastic. Anyone know those guys?? I want to give them an atta-boy and shake their hand. Beautiful produce.

Anyway, we tried our hand a sauerkraut this summer and things are, well, funky.

Recipe was 5# shredded cabbage and 3T of salt (I always use sea salt, no iodine). Packed it into a plastic container, as hard as my farmer fists can push. Got a nice amount of water out of the cabbage almost immediately, covered it with a plate and weighted it down with a quart jar filled with water, put a cheesecloth over it to keep the bugs out.

We're three weeks into the deal and it's tasting great, but has a white mold floating on the surface. Is this normal?? I'm kinda reluctant to eat something that has had mold growing on top of the liquid, but that's just me. Tell me it's like the mold on cheese, just cut it off and everything will be fine!

Yep, asked around to the wife's family (all German decendants, 100% full-blood), no one of the current living generations has actually made sauerkraut! Go figure, they eat it like candy when we go out to eat at German restaraunts, but never made it....

Thanks

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)