AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How well does cottonwood burn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Redman
Posted 8/7/2009 01:04 (#802659 - in reply to #802294)
Subject: RE: Seems that a lot of people here can be choosy

SW Saskatchewan
Not a lot of trees on the Sk prairies but a lot of cottonwood in bottoms and poplars in old shelterbelts that need cleaning up.

When we built our house in late 70's put in a controlled burn woodstove in family room and proceeded to do a exhaustive search for wood sources. As a child I remember how hard we had searched for winter fuel every year-never seemed to be enough from pruning the farm shelterbelt.

Cleaned up old farmyards, cleared fence lines and all the old shelterbelts around of deadfall.

Built a wood pile more like an old threshing machine stack than anything else! My son and his friends took great fun in how high they could throw the cut wood off the truck when they hauled it home from where we would be sawing.

Have burnt from that pile for 30 years- mostly cottonwood, poplar and a lot of spruce dimension lumber. Stacked outside and if wood doesn't grow easily in the dry prairies, it won't rot either. The pile will probably last as long as I will, burning 24-7 every winter keeping the house cozy and guarding against the power going off-you can even make coffee and cook eggs while everyone else is praying that the power guys get that line fixed before the water pipes freeze!

If you have choices, do whatever you want but it somehow seems ungrateful not to accept a gift of free heat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)