AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coon Creek Watershed Conservation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JoBob
Posted 8/5/2009 23:42 (#801316 - in reply to #800488)
Subject: Re: Coon Creek Watershed Conservation

West Central Wisconsin
I live about 35 miles north east of there. It is a beautiful area with it's rolling hills, valleys and streams. There is a very good cooperation of conservation organizations both locally, and Federally, involved in the success of that area. A cousin of mine used to fish for trout on some Vernon Co. streams and always enjoyed himself. As much as they have done in the area conservationally they still are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Flooding just last year caused considerable damage. Another area of conservation significance is the Kickapoo River which is located 20 some miles from Coon Valley on the eastern side of Vernon County. The Corps of Engineers and Federal Govt. bought up land in the Kickapoo Valley to make room for a Dam project to control flooding in the late 1960's early 70's. That project was never completed and you can still see remenants of the dam that never was. I beleive that land was deeded back to a Native American Tribe that inhabited the area. All in all a very interesting place to visit. Try this website http://kvr.state.wi.us/ for info about the Kickapoo. Another area of interest is Soldiers Grove which is located south of Vernon Co in Crawford Co. Bacause of flooding from the Kickapoo River the entire town was moved out of the flood plain and relocated onto "higher ground". Unfortunatley I did not find any info about Soldiers Grove when I googled it. Joe.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)