AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deer in Canola
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mbret
Posted 8/2/2009 22:23 (#797605)
Subject: Deer in Canola

Manitoba, Canada.
Was looking at some canola tonight. Found along the edge of the field in one spot where quite a few main stems had dissapeared right below where the flowers would have been. It looks to me as deer have snipped it off, but I'm just wanting to make sure it isn't an insect or anything. All the leaves are left untouched and there is no hoppers to be found. Never though the deer would bother canola, has anyone else seen this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
christianh
Posted 8/3/2009 00:01 (#797785 - in reply to #797605)
Subject: Re: Deer in Canola

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
I have the same thing... it's just deer, they are getting to be a real nuisance.
9520Deere
Posted 8/3/2009 12:05 (#798120 - in reply to #797605)

Alberta Canada
<p>Dont have a real problem with deer eating stems etc, but they do like to lay down in the fields and hide. Our biggest problem is 4x4 quads from town, but the nice thing is unlike deer they are in season year round ;)</p><p>Might not be much grass around for the deer if your in a drought area like we are, those green smelly canola plants must taste good if theres no green grass around. Few guys have silaged some canola already.</p>

Edited by 9520Deere 8/3/2009 12:07
canadianeh?
Posted 8/3/2009 12:47 (#798151 - in reply to #798120)

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
Deer, elk, and moose all LOVE blooming canola. Every year they attack it voraciously. They love the tender flowering stems, and will live in the crop from blooming to swathing stage, scarcely moving as they have ample cover in any kind of a decent crop. Sometimes I have wondered about scare cannons, etc. cuz when several deer move into the same area and start chomping, they can cause some real losses. I wish I had high speed, I'd go take some pics. Elk are particularly bad, as they trample and eat way more. I have had areas of the size of a large house eaten off at times, but you don't know it till swathing time, cuz its near impossible to take a casual hike through a blooming canola field without, a) getting soaking wet from the chest down, or b) falling flat on yer face as the canola wraps its tentacles around your legs, tripping you up with each step... or c) being immensly frightened of sneaking inadvertently up on a giant bedded moose, bear, boar, or some such wild critter. There is no toilet paper or outhouses handy in my canola fields, and even if there were, how would you get to them...???LOL
BigNorsk
Posted 8/3/2009 13:02 (#798163 - in reply to #798151)

Rolla, ND
No toilet paper but there are lots of big leaves. }:-) It is kind of exciting to just have some large animal or several stand up right next to you when you have no clue they are there. At least in canola you can see them when they stand up, in tall corn you just listen for whether the sounds are coming closer or going away.

mennoboy
Posted 8/3/2009 16:58 (#798341 - in reply to #797605)
Subject: RE: Deer in Canola

Rivers, MB
Sounds like deer to me Jon. Enjoyed our visit last week.
mbret
Posted 8/3/2009 21:24 (#798628 - in reply to #798341)
Subject: RE: Deer in Canola

Manitoba, Canada.
Ok, Deer it is. I was suspicious, especially with a field of corn just 1/2 a mile on each side. But they probably needed a snack while going from corn field to corn field. Deer or Hoppers it makes no difference, I'll just up the rate of Furadan, and take care of those ditch rats!! JK.
Mad Max Perf
Posted 8/4/2009 18:54 (#799708 - in reply to #798628)

North Western Alberta
Yuuuuuup! thats deer alright. The quarter I rent off my dad is bad too. They sure like to chomp it down.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)