AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm a PC, I'm a Mac
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

hRex
Posted 12/19/2006 20:40 (#75998 - in reply to #72891)
Subject: RE: I'm a PC, I'm a Mac

DeKalb, IL
For the most part, the choice between Mac and Windows should be dictated by what you're going to do with the computer. I'm pretty comfortable using both types, because my work environment requires Windows and my older son got us going on Macs when he got into graphics at school. We have both systems on the home network. Early on, Apple supported reading pc disks; Microsoft never felt the need to get out of their own neighborhood.

I would not let a salesperson's lack of knowledge sway my purchase, especially if I'm limited to one of the big box stores. My experiences there have taught me that most of them may know what shelf something's on, but don't have much awareness about what that something does. A good local pc builder might be a pretty good source of information. I've learned that the ones I know are reasonably familiar with both platforms. And, if you buy a pc from them instead of a Mac, you'll probably end up with a better pc than if you bought the discount special at the retail store.

You'll probably save $ with a pc, but if you buy a pc that's made as well as a Mac, you'll spend just about the same. Browsing, e-mail and casual use are easier to set up with a Mac. Exchanging files with others may be a reason to choose one platform over the other, but Microsoft Office for the two platforms can read one another's files seamlessly. For e-mail, Entourage in the Office suite is far better than Outlook (have to admit I haven't used the Mail that comes with the Mac OS). Photography and graphics are better supported on the Mac, but the gap's narrowing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)