AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till module on JD cart
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/6/2023 10:29 (#10259213 - in reply to #10259159)
Subject: RE: Strip till module on JD cart

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ok, your Dad found a SPDT switch. You do not need diodes with that switch. Connect Pin 1 to the lower terminal of the switch (that is a 12V supply). Connect Pin 7 to the upper terminal (this is switch detect and is needed). Connect the middle terminal to Pin 2 (F1 - the usual Master) on the green connector

When the switch is UP, which we think of as ON, the middle terminal receives 12V from the bottom terminal. When the switch is DOWN, which we think of as OFF, it is really making a connection between the switch detect pin and the center pin. The switch detect pin is ground MOST of the time but goes to 12V at times.

The Ag Leader system could have many possible switches attached to the system. I'm not positive of all the reasons why but Ag Leader does a switch detect routine in software when the system is first powered up and then every 15 seconds or so. It checks to see which switch locations are actually connected to switches at that time. Then it only checks those locations for actual use as it goes about its normal activities. Every 15 seconds, it performs an update to the "what locations actually have switches" routine. In your case, it would be wasteful for the system to check all the potential 15-20 possible inputs since only one is being used for this application.

So how can the system determine if a switch is actually present and thus should be checked in the future? The switch detect procedure seems to work like this. Every 15 seconds (an eternity in electronics) it temporarily makes the switch detect pin (pin 7 and others in the brown connector) 12 Volts. It then checks the status of the signal pin.

If the switch was (UP) connected to 12V then 12V will be present. If the switch was (DOWN) and connected to the switch detect pin which at that time is temporarily 12V then 12V would also be present. If no voltage is returned, the system feels there is no switch present and will not watch that location until the switch detect routine is run again. It builds a status chart internally. The switch diagnostic chart shows the results. Green means a switch was present and it was ON. Black means a switch was present but it was connected to switch detect. Gray means that no switch was found. The system will only check on those locations shown in the chart to contains actual switches. The chart gets updated every 15 seconds.

You mention Zener diodes which are special diodes in that they will conduct in the reverse direction at a certain voltage. Their purpose is often for a simple voltage regulator. I would remove them from your SPDT switch.

My drawing giving the two choices has confused you. The first drawing uses the SPDT switch and not diodes. Go with it.

My second drawing uses a SPST switch (only two terminals) and does use the diodes which should be common diodes. The diodes are not needed with the SPDT switch (3 terminals).

The fact that you are getting the zero speed warning is encouraging but not a complete sign that all is well. If the switch detect pin is not used properly, the system would turn ON when the switch is turned to what we think of as ON. However the delay might be as much as 15 seconds, depending on when you happened to flip the switch.

There is a slight delay when flipping a switch ON and seeing the change on the screen normally but it should be minimal. Product is actually flowing prior to the screen indication change.

Edited by tedbear 6/6/2023 10:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)