AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swinging For The Fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BLKCOW
Posted 6/3/2023 10:39 (#10255171 - in reply to #10254645)
Subject: RE: Swinging For The Fence

I don't think most understand just how short cow numbers really are, Whatever USDA says, they aren't even close. For instance they had CO beef cow numbers up for Jan 1 2023. That after two years of drought and record hay prices. Sales where every cow over 5-6 years old and less than 7-8 months bred went to the killers. Pairs being split even on some running age cows up until a month or so ago. I know people who haven't kept a heifer in years because they were either getting out or cutting numbers way back because of lack of feed.

How quickly can numbers be brought back? How hard will it be to keep a heifer next fall knowing she won't produce any revenue for two years and she is likely worth more than any you have ever raised? When operating loans are nearly double digit interest rates and everything you need to buy is 2-3 times what it was the last time you made any money? There is the instinct to compare today to 2014 and I don't think that comparison goes very far aside from record prices.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)