AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's your experience with a shorter breeding season?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 6/4/2023 08:27 (#10256281 - in reply to #10253475)
Subject: RE: What's your experience with a shorter breeding season?

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Just random thoughts, if cows are dragging out getting bred it's most likely you caused it. From lack of nutrition, or too much i.e. too fat of cows. Lack of proper bull power, what I mean from proper bull power is too old of bulls, not BSE tested before turn out. Should also be raised in your type of climate.

Next of the cow side, the best thing you can do is raise cows out your own cows. They know the range, been there and know the routine. Bring outside cows in and risk losing 30 % or more for not getting bred.

Next thoughts are need to spread the calving out. Want a big wreck, A.I. cows for a two-three window. Have killer storms come in. You can't pick calves up fast enough, then you doggied a bunch now you've got bottle calves that don't fit sales in fall. Far easier to market light calves and heavy calves in their own weight class. Why push for one pay weight, and take a slide on price.

There is premiums to be made in selling in respective weight classes. Market those light calves to bring close to heavy calves. They make calculators to help do the math on break evens.

My numbers are 80-85% calves hit the ground in first cycle, next cycle pretty much cleans them up. Around 2% left to calve on the third cycle. If those cows are in good body condition, those 2 percenter's will catch up.

I once sold a bunch of cows because they were a little late in calving. This bunch was a bunch I haul to pasture, trucking constraints, labor issues. So I sold them to a next door neighbor as bred as being a little late. They turned around and fit the next year in pasture we run together. I was trucking these cattle out of the area and selling out of the area. I wanted a one package deal on calf weights. So I culled them, yet he turned them around and made them fit program we run here in Idaho. The big problem was those cows were too fat, it was costing 10% opens as well in that herd. I changed cow body condition, it tightened up calving window.

Everyone constraints are different, not one cookie cutter answer to the problem. And heaven knows few university professionals have actually had skin in the game when they are telling you how to run your operation. At the end of the day they still have their 401K and vacation time. Yet you sold your factory to fit their text book.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 6/4/2023 08:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)