AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what is the second 12 pin plug for on a Raven 440?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/25/2023 12:21 (#10243073 - in reply to #10243013)
Subject: It is a 14 pin

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The second connector is a 14 pin. Many times it is not used. The original Raven controllers just used the 16 pin AMP connector. Later when more features were added, more pins were needed so the 14 pin connector was included. The pins in the 16 pin connector have remained consistent since the early days of the Raven SCS-400.

The Raven 440 uses a flow meter and is not pressure based. It is very capable of auto rate control. It is probably the most common auto rate controller at least in the US.

As part of the setup, the operator enters in various pieces of information such as the boom section widths, a speed cal, a meter cal, a valve cal and the desired target rate. The newer 440's can use an electric pressure transducer but that is purely optional.

Since this sprayer apparently has an electric pressure transducer (I would never bother with one), a cable could be purchased that would attach to the electric pressure transducer and plug into the 14 pin connector. Then the pressure can be shown on the display. For me it just seems easier and less trouble to use a common pressure gauge that the operator can read directly. Since the system is flow based it is not making any decisions based on pressure. The pressure reading is only for the operators verification.

You say that the operator is used to speed/pressure type operation which is certainly possible by putting the 440 Rate 1/Rate 2/MAN switch in Manual. Then the operator can adjust the pressure to their hearts content.

In my opinion that would be rather foolish since the 440 can do this automatically but to each his own. The neighbor may not have any experience or knowledge of the auto systems and may want to keep it that way.

Edited by tedbear 5/26/2023 08:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)