AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sprouted wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/3/2009 20:35 (#798543 - in reply to #798501)
Subject: Re: sprouted wheat

Thumb of Michigan
The adjuster called me today, Loren. From what I can gather, its just like you suggested- the agents called the companies and said we all have problems.

Anyway, the issue now is that some elevators haven't put a value on the damaged "feed" wheat, mainly because they don't know what the value is. There's is an incredible amount of it in the Thumb. The adjuster did say that its been real tough on everyone (no surprise) because the rules were changing daily. He had people with 3 rejection letters call, and they were advised to leave the wheat in the field. Originally, I think it was 30% sprout that got you rejected. Then the allowable number creeped up to, as I understand it, 50% a couple of days ago. Obviously caused some grief and sleepless nights for those that already had approval from the insurance companies not to harvest. I've been told that once the adjuster says its all over, its all over regardless of what changes at the elevators. That's definitely one of those things that I'd want in writing, though.

My adjuster said he can settle my CRC claim just as soon as we get the value of the wheat figured out. Neither of us thinks that'll happen real soon. Its not a factor in my case, but many farmers rely on a wheat check to pay for spring inputs. I hope they can get other means of payment sorted out, its just another kick in the butt if they can't.

This wheat deal has changed the storage picture in the Thumb a bit. There's a lot of wheat that got put in bins hoping for a better day down the road. I believe more than traditionally gets stored. And, I think we have a good crop yield wise. I don't know how it'll affect the ability of farmers and elevators to store corn and soy's this fall. I feel that overall, corn will be average yield and late, I think soy's will surprise (in a good way) many folks. Its going to be interesting.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)