AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's the difference between a 1804 and 1844 AgChem Terragator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notill89
Posted 7/26/2009 07:46 (#788448)
Subject: What's the difference between a 1804 and 1844 AgChem Terragator?

South Central Nebraska

Anyone know what the differences are? For those of you who have run both a three wheeler and four wheeler, which do you like best? Is it worth the extra money to jump up to the 8100 series with the terra shift tranny?

Thanks, Brian

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Applicator
Posted 7/26/2009 09:21 (#788537 - in reply to #788448)
Subject: Re: What's the difference between a 1804 and 1844 AgChem Terragator?

We still have 3 old three wheelers. I will be glad when the last one is junked. Four wheelers with springs almost always ride a lot better than a three wheeler. This is true in the field and on the road. The cost of fixing a terra shift trans scares me. The last price I saw for a rebuilt one was over $27 K from AGChem. This was before Deere bought Funk, I doubt that helped lower the transmission parts prices. A former AgChem mechanic told me it was not if a terra shift trans would fail, the issue was when. This was a few years back, maybe they are better now. There were some 1804's (don't know if it was available in the 4 wheel drive 1844) with the far more reliable Allison transmission. I can get a rebuilt late model 6 speed Allison trans delivered for around $4 K. Parts are available from many sources.
shorty
Posted 7/26/2009 11:42 (#788702 - in reply to #788448)
Subject: RE: What's the difference between a 1804 and 1844 AgChem Terragator?

4-wheeler will ride considerably better. 3-wheeler doesn't have tie rod assemblies, suspension, and other parts to wear out. Commercial guys around here won't run 4-wheelers because of maintanence. I wouldn't run a 3-wheeler because the difference in ride far outweighs putting on a tie rod end once in a while. New Terra-Shift is nice, but I believe between the reliability issues, electronic gremlins, and cost, I'd stick with the old reliable Allisons. Also, with a newer one your dealing with an AGCO product.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)