AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK base station
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

ncook
Posted 5/15/2023 08:26 (#10229806 - in reply to #10226584)
Subject: RE: RTK base station

Clinton County, Michigan
I just realized that whatever I use has to see the same sats as my paradyme and I would guess just L1/L2 and GLONASS

That is correct. It is also important to understand that newer/cheaper receivers (like ublox F9P) are only tracking the GPS L2C civilian signal, while older receivers also track the L2P(Y) military signal. I'm not positive on the current status but last I knew there is still 20-30% of the GPS satellites in orbit are the older style without L2C. They are getting replaced with new as they age (and the plan is 1 day all will have L2C), but they have exceeded life expectancy, so delayed on replacement.
This is important because if the base can't transmit a correction for an L2P satellite then the rover can't fully use it. This isn't really noticeable when there are additional satellites like GALILEO, or in the wide open. But with only GPS+GLO there may be times of day, or near trees where your rover is low on usable satellites.

Am I wrong? Could I get a "loaded" receiver that has L1/L2/L5 Glonass Galileo, etc. and have good results?

GPS+GLO L1/L2 rovers would not care if they see correction for GAL+L5, they just wouldn't use it, but it wouldn't hurt or help anything.

Edited by ncook 5/15/2023 08:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)