AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader electric clutch with outback max
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/5/2023 06:54 (#10216563 - in reply to #10216550)
Subject: More Info

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The polarity and logic of clutch systems on planters can be confusing. Most (but not Great Plains I guess) work on the idea that a clutch will plant until some activity such as electricity causes the clutch to disengage. The idea being fail safe so that with a problem with a clutch control circuit, the planter would still plant. This leads the confusion with the terms ON and OFF. With most systems, when the electrical is circuit is complete or ON, the planting is OFF. To complete the circuit to stop planting both power and ground must be present. Some systems switch the 12V source to each clutch, some switch the ground to each clutch.

This may not answer your question because I'm not familiar with the Outback system. I am familiar with a complete Ag Leader system. In some respects this will depend on which Ag Leader clutches you have. Ag Leader can work with different types of clutches. If you have their SureStop clutches that have a red and white wire they are polarity sensitive. If you have their SureVac covers for Deere planters, they are not polarity sensitive. In general if both wires at the clutch are the same color then polarity is not important. If they are different colors then the polarity is important.

The SureStop style of clutch was not polarity sensitive when they were first produced several years ago. Later they became polarity sensitive and used the red and black wires. Connecting them incorrectly could cause failures. Possibly this situation has changed since my observations are from seveeral years ago.

With a system comprised of "pure" Ag Leader products, the wiring goes as follows: High current power is fed to the Ag Leader Clutch Control module. A Tee splits off and leads out to the Ag Leader Clutch Control wiring harness. Only the red wire branches off. It feeds 12V to each clutch branch. It does NOT feed out a common ground.

Read my last two sentences again since this may be opposite of other systems. One might think that each clutch would receive a common ground and that the system would switch on the "hot" to stop a clutch from planting. This is not the case. Each clutch receives common 12V and the system completes ground to a clutch to cause it to stop planting.

This common 12V on Pin A of the two pin Weather Pak (red wire) must go to the red wire of the SureStop type clutches. The other wire is black which will be ground when the system is trying to stop a clutch. Again this means every red wire to every clutch will always be 12V whether planting or not. Those clutches that should not be planting will have the black wire connected to ground by the module. Otherwise the black wire will be in a "float" condition the clutch will be inactive and continue to plant.

One might wonder why Ag Leader runs a common hot and not a common ground. One reason has to do with the internal switching. Another is that this allows for some error detection. When a configuration is created in the Ag Leader system the number of sections is defined. The system expects that the number of section clutches should start with Section 1 and proceed as far as necessary. For proper field operation, the number and location of the sections is very important. To warn the operator of a mismatch between the configuration setup and the actual physical layout on the planter, a test is performed upon startup and throughout the day. Since each clutch should be receiving 12V at all times, 12V should be present on the potential ground side of the coil in each clutch. The system does a voltage check on the section wires. If it finds 12V on a section control wire, it can assume that a coil meaning a clutch is present. It checks all section wires. It can create a table of sorts that shows which sections apparently are present. If the number and location of these apparent sections does not agree with the configuration an error message is shown. The error message attempts to be helpful and will give a summary of what it found.

The operator is then warned that the original wiring is not correct or of a later problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)