AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When do farmers go back to growing food?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/17/2023 15:36 (#10144955 - in reply to #10144815)
Subject: RE: When do farmers go back to growing food?

East of Broken Bow
Sooo....What they want should be free,
What other people want should be taxed to the point of being unaffordable,
and farmers should be 'forced' to plant what they say or go out of business???

FWIW, I have a small field surrounded by pasture. It is irrigated, so yields are pretty consistent, and it is surrounded by grass, with no fear of cross pollination. In the past I have tried planting:
Food grade beans
Food grade corn
Non-GMO corn

I tried all of these because of the 'public demand' for such things. In the case of every one of those aforementioned crops, I would have been money ahead planting my usual corn/alfalfa rotation, feeding the alfalfa to my brood cows, and selling the corn to a local feedlot that usually buys my calves.
I have come to the conclusion that when someone says that 'the public demands' something, generally speaking they are speaking for only themselves or a small minority of the public. If 'the public' demanded more of something, they would buy it, and the increase in price/demand would get more of it produced. Instead, IMO (and my opinion only) you have a few people saying 'the public demands' something, but in reality, only they want it, and the public doesn't demand it enough to pay for it, instead getting what they see as something good enough at a price that is cheap enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)