AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When do farmers go back to growing food?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Talltree
Posted 3/17/2023 05:58 (#10144001 - in reply to #10143430)
Subject: RE: When do farmers go back to growing food?

Southwest Michigan
DobsonAG - 3/16/2023 19:36

Sadly I think farmers are their own worst enemy all day long. Constantly mad at the public(aka consumer). And say things like without us you would starve. Ummm not really.......we are so far from starving at this point it is laughable. Especially when as mentioned so much of what we grow doesn't end up on their plates. In their defense many of them probably don't care to use ethanol or even know the government subsidizes crop insurance. Or the countless farmer welfare systems people take advantage of to get ahead. So maybe be careful how made you make them, they are resourceful. I have a contractor friend that complains about it all the time, Man I wish I had an insurance deal like farmer's. We could still call it contractor insurance. But if I didn't build 10 houses like my average year and I only built 3 I could just collect insurance and keep right where I am and not have to change anything. Hmmmm I can't argue that.

Healthier soils than the past. I don't think so. At least not here. Maybe some areas. But giving how much less topsoil we have and basically no diversity with 2 crop system. I don't buy into we are doing so well. I have had the joy of taking out some very long term sod and the yields there are far better than the rest of the field in long term production.

I won't get in the argument on CO2 in the environment in too much detail, as I don't enjoy typing that much. But the increase of it over the past 50 years has done much more for the yields we see than soil health. Yes even to C4 plants. Don't believe me load some trends of both. Those trends will continue until it goes back the other way. As it has before.

Not picking sides as I have many acquaintances on all sides of the equations. But the farmer is definitely getting to be too small of a crowd to throw too many rocks. Once baby boomers giant crowd leaves in the next 10-20, huge changes will be made, both voluntarily, and from mandates.

I'm going to have to get ambitious and make me some chips and plant some oats next year. Apparently we aren't going to stop missing rains to do that again in 23....

About the contractor, no it is not the same, if the contractor had spent the money and had all the expenses for 10 houses, but 7 were destroyed by fire, wind or earthquakes. Then he had to survive on the money from only three houses, that would be a similar scenario. Crop insurance, is a safety net for food production, and also a tell tale way of data collection of what is being produced.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)