AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So there I was..........................
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 7/18/2009 09:25 (#779618)
Subject: So there I was..........................

.....just moved the irrigation, sweat stinging my eyes, and I backed the pickup up to the corner at the field entrance hopeing to find a break in rush hour traffic to get out on the road. Some car pulls over into the driveway entrance in front of me. Its a car that they would'nt even allow in a derby cause its allready totalled, but this young gal has to drive it. She proceeds to put the car in park.........or so she thought as it then started to roll backward as she attempts to get out of the car. Then she does get it stopped and into park, but this time when she tries to get out, the seat belt,(yes it had functioning seatbelts believe it or not) was holding her up. She sits back down and throws her hands up and lays her head on the steering wheel in obvious dis-belief that this is happening.

So, I'm trying my best to not laugh at her as I know I've had a day or two like that in the past. She finally just rolls down the passenger window and tells me she has a flat tire and needs to pull off here to try to change it. Oh great....;-( *sigh*...... First thing comes to mind is the usual, "you just passed 3 gas stations and you...................". But instead, believe it or not, that kind lady that stopped to ask if I needed help, link to thread came to mind. Ok, so I see the flat is on the left front and she's been driving on it as it is hotter'n he....ck. I tell her I will  change it for her but she'll need to stay off the highways tills she gets it fixed as it is a donut spare on the drive axle. She says she has no money to get the other fixed, so she may have to drive on this a while. Ok...?.....?............... Now,...I dont mind helping someone out with lunch money when they are down on their luck, but here she is with a cell phone (that she's now on) and smoking marlboro. She has money for that and a tattoo, but no money for a tire fix? Well, I guess she'll just have'ta stay broke today.

So I get the tire changed and tell her if she's going to drive the donut, to change it to the non drive axle as soon as she can. She nodds in agreement and believe it or not, she actually said "thank you" for changing the tire. I told her she was welcome and to try to have a better day.

So now I've been reminded that so very often its just some little detail some where that really has an impact on your life. It may change you for the better, or the worse, but hopefully the better. That kind lady that stopped to offer help to me that day in town a little while back was mostly responcible for me being willing to take the time out of my schedule to help this young gal in need. Sorta felt good actually. Not the act of changing the tire, but the feeling of doing something for someone else. Even if she had'nt said thank you, it would still have been a great experience for my own satisfaction.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)