AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost ground after 40+ years
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 7/19/2009 10:23 (#780505 - in reply to #779217)
Subject: Re: Lost ground after 40+ years

I was in a similiar situation several years ago, except for me it worked out. My uncle that raised me had rented a farm since the mid '40s. Uncle had been sick from cancer for close to 13 years, had been given 6 months to live when originally disgnosed, and toward the end several "neighbors" tried there darnedest to get the ground. One I know visted the landowner while my was in the hospital just before he died & another approached the landowner at the visitation (real lowlife). Another "good friend" of my uncle wanted to help me put the crops in but wanted to go about it in away that would have made me look bad so he could rent the farm. This guy had even made the comment before that "he would do anything to anybody, including his brothers, to get a piece of land" I was 19 & though I knew quite a bit about farming, or so I thought at the time, but even I was hesitant sbout what this guy was uggesting. Luckily another good friend of my uncle saw what was happening & stepped in otherwise I probably would have lost the farm.Years later I found out he had even gone to the owner and highly recomended that they keep renting the faqrm to me.

My uncle had helped this guy get started in farming after he had gotten out of WWII and he was returning the favor. Though this man is close to 30 years older than I still consider him one of my best friends. I could go one for pages about the things this guy did to help me overthe years but that would be getting away from your situation.

Back to the subject at hand. I stillrent that farm 28 years later. The original lady that owned it died several years ago & her husband recently passed away. I have recently entered into a long term contract with their son & hope to have a good & long relationship with him & hopefully when the day comes my son will farm for his children or we have the opportunity to purchase the farm.

There are a lot of things that may have happened that you don't know about. Could be things went down as you have said or maybe the landlord is practicing some "CYA". You may or may not know what ever know everything that happened. It seems to me that you are taking for grantite that because you're dad farmed this ground for 40 years that you have the right to farm it. You need to develope your own relationship with the landowners. Maybe you already had but you don't mention it. Whether you had or not you need to contact the owners, I would recomend in person. If that's not possible at least make a phone call &talk to them. If they are honest people they should give you the scoop, though it may not be what you want to hear. Whatever you do don't send a letter to the owners & don't go around badmouthing the person that rented it. That will only make things worse & make you look bad.

Hopefully you can rectify the situation & get the farm back. Maybe not for this next year but when the current contract expires. I have lost a couple farms over the years & it hurts but it's a fact of life & you go on & make the best of it.

Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)