AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exact Apply Nozzles 22 HAGIE?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WilgerIndustries
Posted 1/26/2023 11:24 (#10061174 - in reply to #10059002)
Subject: RE: Exact Apply Nozzles 22 HAGIE?

A few things with a new system to be aware of:
1. Nozzle size will change. Exactapply has a solid max flow capacity before you start getting pretty crazy pressure drop through the solenoid, BUT it is still something to keep in mind. Like jhal said, you might increase the nozzle size a specific amount, but that might change for smaller nozzles compared to larger nozzles. Even though Tip Wizard only shows Wilger tips, it is probably one of the best options out there to size your nozzles for Exactapply. Not the biggest deal if you aren't using Wilger nozzles. Since all the nozzle sizes/colors are the same between manufacturers, it'll at least allow you to size it proper and get the jist of where you'd be wanting to be for pressures/speeds for a pretty happy medium ESPECIALLY if you were wanting to try push for like 15-20GPA applications.

2. For Duty cycle considerations, think of the duty cycle as the max flow of your plumbing. Where do you get issues in plumbing? If it is too small (restriction = nozzle too small = not getting your full rate out) or if your plumbing is too large (too large = not enough backpressure = nozzle size too big = physical SKIPS in coverage if your duty cycle is <50% at high speeds).

So, duty cycle isn't the be-all or end-all when selecting nozzles, but you best check your duty cycle before you buy nozzles so you dont end up having a dud of a nozzle that can't give you the flow range that you'd want. Usually at 15MPH, if you be in around 60-80% duty cycle for the most of your travel speeds, you'd be in good shape.

If you are approaching 95% duty cycle in your HIGHEST RATE and HIGHEST SPEED, I'd consider that OK as well, as you are only going to slow down from there.

So, avoid duty cycles >100% as you will not put out your flow rate.
Avoid duty cycles <50%, as you dont want nozzle skips. Not the biggest deal if you were like 50% duty cycle at 8mph when you are turning, as the system is pulsing every 15th of a second, so the physical gap in coverage isn't really going to be there, compared to a 50% duty cycle at 20MPH, where there is a lot more 'GAP' or non-sprayed time between pulses.

3. For Tip Wizard, it will show a column for droplet size, % driftable fines and % coverage factor. These would be new to you. If you are comparing to another brand of nozzles, you can still use them to some benefit to determine a benchline for a comparable nozzle, but probably just ignore them for the most part if you are using a JD nozzle.

As reference points that I like to use as general guides for different types of applications if you were wanting to look into it more:
For systemic herbicides (Glyphosate): I'd search for a droplet size/VMD of like 400, and try maintain driftable fines (%<141) less than 10%, and keep coverage factor (%<600) higher than 80%.
For herbicides that require a higher level of drift reductions (e.g. Xtendimax/Dicamba mixes): Use the label required nozzles. Wilger does have a handful of PWM-approved Dicamba nozzles as well.
For in-crop herbicides or fungicides: I'd search for a droplet size/VMD of like 330, and since we are going for a finer coverage spray, we'd accept a tad more drift (try keep driftable fines <15%)

So, short form of the above info:
Systemic Herbicides: 400µ, <10% <141µ, >80% <600µ (For folks that are more drift sensitive, I'd search for ~450µ to increase the nominal droplet size)
In-crop herbicides/Fungicides: 330µ, <15% <141µ, >90% <600µ (For insecticides, you might be bump up the pressure)

4. Since ExactApply has the means to be able to use the pulsing A+B mode/etc, I'd reckon the attached chart might be useful for you. For higher flow rate applications, there might be better coverage using both A + B instead of a single nozzle on A only that would start getting pressure drop that'd have the spray start getting coarser.

So, if you are primarily doing 10-20GPA work through the year, I might look at two 10GPA nozzles, one a tad coarser and one a tad finer (but still useful for contact herbicides at higher pressure). Then I'd reckon you'd have a standalone nozzle for any of the Dicamba work, as thats not so useful for much else.

So, you'd end up using 3 nozzles (Probably two 110-05 on pulsing, and one 110-08 or 110-10 for Dicamba) and that'd be it for the year.

I skimmed over stuff a fair bit, but if you gave me a better idea what you were using before I can give you a better idea of what'd match what you had staying away from the air induction side of things since there'd probably be better benefit using your PWM side of exactapply than just rate controlled.

(ExactApply_Modes (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ExactApply_Modes (full).jpg (172KB - 40 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)