AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expiring CRP Decisions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 1/24/2023 08:17 (#10056566 - in reply to #10056485)
Subject: RE: Expiring CRP Decisions

First, I'd question if you really have 4 to 5% OM levels consistently in the fields, but if you really do, I'd want to farm those particular fields.
Chances are pretty good, some of the fields would benefit from some dry dams installed in areas that were previously problem areas when farmed, in addition to the tiling you are planning. Installing some well designed dams can really turn a rougher type field with some erosion issues into a field one can farm responsibly imo.
As a deer and/or turkey hunter, fields that are farmed can support higher numbers of both than most CRP fields, and also can make hunting more productive. I'd hesitate to say on here how many bucks I generally pass each year before selecting one out, but it's kinda ridiculous, and my favorite fields are former CRP fields that weren't that good hunting before. No till C/SB and cover crops over the winter can be a dynamite combo for hunting. Wheat in rotation would add to that.
Kudos on giving a young farmer who is conservation minded an opportunity to farm your ground. Hopefully that's a trend we see with landlords moving forward.

And a just btw, don't really understand the not liking the cedar tree thing. The CRP fields I converted back to no-till fields had plenty, and the smaller ones were mowed off, with the bigger ones pulled out, and here they never come back to any degree once the fields are farmed. One can still find an occasional hardwood barely hanging on after a few years, but never a cedar, well, maybe one could find an occasional sub inch cedar with some persistence. Never say never, right, lol? They make a good wildlife tree that songbirds shelter in big time this time of year. I keep lots around many of my fields. They trim nice ............ IDK. I do root plow around the edges of fields every so often with all my miles of tree line.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)