AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6.5 diesel question for GM Guy or others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JRosenberger
Posted 1/14/2023 21:21 (#10040382)
Subject: 6.5 diesel question for GM Guy or others

Milford, IL
Having trouble with a 1996 GMC C3500 cab and chassis with 6.5 diesel. Engine is a late 1999 model, I am sure of this because I installed it. I am having trouble getting air in the fuel system.

Rubber fuel line components are new. Fuel filter housing o-rings are new. I have applied shop air pressure (regulated to about 5 psi) to the supply and return lines and could not detect any air leaks. I installed a clear fuel line from the return fitting on the injection pump and I am getting air quickly after the engine is shut down - visable air bubble in less than five minutes after engine shut down. No air intrusion in the fuel system with the engine running.

I think the only remaining source would be the injectors or the injection pump? Pump doesn't have a throttle shaft that can wear but I suppose it could leak air some place? To start the engine after sitting overnight, I give it just a sniff of summer and it lights right off, and on cold days it will belch white smoke for 30 seconds. Can worn injectors allow air into the fuel system? No idea on mileage on injectors, engine probably has 180k miles - assuming it was the original engine from the pickup I pulled it from - injectors could be the first set.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)