AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is a Case 3408 a head worth having?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wire farms
Posted 12/6/2022 09:13 (#9968171 - in reply to #9967800)
Subject: RE: Is a Case 3408 a head worth having?

Nebraska
sparkiefarmer - 12/6/2022 03:15

Have a 3408 now and in the process of trying to trade it off. Theres early and updated deck plates, ours has the updated ones.
It WILL NOT feed if the stalks are even thinking about being damp. Bone dry or frozen are the only times you can use it. It will bunch up stalks at the top of the deckplates by the auger. Also butt shells like a bugger. Im told calmer rolls and deck plates will fix it, but for the price ill just put that money towards a better header. Demoed a Macdon and i can drive 1mph faster in the same field, it just takes in less trash. 3408 seems to have a 6mph speed limit.
Having said that it has been reliable, we've harvested 15 or 1800 acres with it and had 1 work stoppage due to a bent roll knife. Doesnt do much for chewing up the stalks either.

Yes I can imagine living in the far northeast you fight these problems but a 3408 CNH head here is still a respectable head, here the dew burns off by 10 am and you harvest corn in very dry conditions under sunny sky all day long (under 15% moisture 90% of the time also) So a 3408 doesn't miss a beat, the knife rolls work very good also (again stalks are much dryer here so not as tough). I would not spend the money on a calmer kit but again my conditions don't need it.

The OP has to decide what conditions he runs in and make a judgement from there.

Edited by wire farms 12/6/2022 09:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)