AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How long should a grain bin last?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 12/5/2022 11:08 (#9966500 - in reply to #9965919)
Subject: RE: How long should a grain bin last?

I put my first bin up in '73, Superior 7 ring x 33', fan/ heater,m& stirrator. 2nd bin in '77, same except 8 ring. These were our only means of drying up til 2013 when we put up a Top Dry. Until then we dried several bin falls in each bin , still used them to dry that bin full until a couple years ago.. Usually started with 23-24% corn but in 2009 put 28% in one, corn went down in August & was very dirty, looked like a funnel cloud coming out of the auger it was so dirty. Have never had an issue with the bin itself, stirrators z& fans were a different matter.. We also a 9 ring hopperbin that was originally put up in the mid '70s as a conventional flat bottom bin. We had it converted in 2014, replaced the originalmbottom ring with heavier Guage sheets & added 2 more rings to the bottom using Guage thickness recommended by GSI. Bin has no stiffness & probably has close to 200,000 bu of wet corn ran thru it a yr feeding the TopmDry

There are some old government bins around from the '40s & '50s that farmers bought when the government did away with the program in the '60s that are still being used. Neighbor had one with a heater & stirrator that was used until about 5 years ago when the farm was sold..

Don't know about the brand of your bin but sounds to me the sheets were of wrong Guage
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)