AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TR88 to CR920 or 940
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

john holland
Posted 12/5/2022 10:47 (#9966469 - in reply to #9965612)
Subject: RE: TR88 to CR920 or 940

SE MN
Looks to me like a 920 has 50hp more than an 88. If you are not trying to increase head size or ground speed a lot, it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you can tolerate a lack of power for the few minutes of worst case scenario like unloading in tough beans going straight uphill. Might want to consider a 940 over a 920 just because there are so few 920 around so parts may be harder to come by.

If you have hills, the CR will be a dramatic improvement because of the self leveling sieves, even with the same power.

Going from a TR99 to a CR9040 on singles with a 6 row head, the CR works better in every way and has more power and capacity. We had an extremely dry fall so can't speak to it sinking in, but the recommended tire pressure is 41 psi and it is borderline on tire capacity, which makes me worried about it. It weighs 10,000 lb more base machine so the difference is real, but the hydro is much more responsive than the old TR, so didn't feel the weight. Will probably wish it had rwd when things get soft. There are several different versions of a 30.5 tire with very different load capacity. The operators manual lists them all with recommendations for head size. The 30.5 tires on the 99 easily fit between the rows and the 30.5 tires on the CR really don't so we are trying to add stalk stompers.

Service wise, it is much larger and there is more space under the shields so you can get to things and see things much easier than the TR. They improved a lot of the hassles with the TR like getting access to the rotor gearboxes by standing on the sieve and taking the top sheet metal out with a few bolts. The only thing that was a major step back was the vertical turret unloading system. It unloads grain much faster than the TR style, but you can tell it is going to be much more expensive to maintain. The gleaners have a sloped auger and big capacity, wish NH had stuck with that. Everything is much bigger and heavier, which is nice but it takes up more room in the shed. The computers and electronics make me nervous. The TR was pretty dumb but could be fixed with limited skill and money. The CR is much smarter and enjoyable to operate but more complicated to troubleshoot and will be more expensive to repair. The idea of shredding a hydraulic pump with all the electronic valve blocks and flow compensating pumps makes me think it would be better to get it struck by lightning and make an insurance claim than try to fix it, but things aren't getting any simpler. If I could have gotten a TR99 with self leveling sieves, I probably would have just kept fixing that forever.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)