AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8960 questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WR460
Posted 12/5/2022 09:45 (#9966381 - in reply to #9966116)
Subject: RE: 8960 questions

Steiger Man - 12/5/2022 07:36

Went from a Ford Versatile 976 to a 8960 and thought I died and went to heaven. Better hydraulics, better transmission, more built in weight, and better cab. There is a reason why Versatile lost market share and trail everybody else now.

Compare a 976 to the Deere 4wd of the 80’s, a 8640-8650 and tell me how the comparison works. Regarding market share, no one bought an 8640 because it was a brilliant design!!!!

A 9680-82 vs a deere 60-70 series—the Deere has a better transmission but lacks in every other area. Deere finally followed Versatile’s lead and used an 855 Cummins because they never could figure out how to make a reliable big block. Very poorly designed A/C “system” on the Deere, maybe the strangest design I’ve seen on a tractor. Cabs and hydraulics are a wash. Deere has a notoriously weak and PIA to work on hydraulic pump. Both brands need weight to hook up.

Deere’s market share isn’t because they have a superior product or are at the forefront of technology. I could go on and on about their copycat department but that has been covered enough.

If you have trouble shifting a Versatile, hit the linkages with penetrating fluid a couple of times a year. Makes it a different animal and is extremely easy and simple to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)