AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rust converter for a restoration?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

shulerfarm
Posted 12/4/2022 20:19 (#9965545 - in reply to #9964994)
Subject: RE: Rust converter for a restoration?

Holly Hill, SC
People talk about using acid and I suggest be very careful or at least ask which acid they are talking about. I made a major mistake using muriatic acid to help remove mill scale from rolled steel. The rolled steel had a very tough scale on it that I could not consistently remove with grinder, flap disc, torch, or pressure washer and watched a youtube video of someone successfully using muriatic acid to remove the mill scale. This somewhat worked but the steel changed like I have never seen before in regards to rusting immediately and aggressively. I neutralized the acid with water 5 minutes after applying. 4 OSPHO treatments, rusty metal primer and 3 top coats of paint. 4 months later the paint bubbled up with pitted rust underneath. Remaining scrap steel unfinished left under the shed rusted and flaked like I had never seen before. Prior and after this major mistake, I have had very successful projects by cleaning the metal using wire brush or flap disc on grinder, 1 or 2 treatments of OSPHO, clean with acetone, primer with Rustoleum rusty metal primer, and top coat with Rustoleum paint.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)